• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just some old photos animal markets where more popular back then 

Couldnt agree more,i was responding to the chap saying health and safety has ruined everything....im no fan of the hi viz generation as it takes away decision making but lets face it animals cant make

Great pics, especially the young lad with rabbit in his pocket, and the Jr pup standing alone. Never to be seen again unfortunately. The world is ruined with, health and safety, animal welfare groups

Posted Images

1 minute ago, fireman said:

Shoreditch live animal market east London 1946,saw them pics this morning as it goes and cracking pics of a different time eh..

Full of hipster vegans now mate times change for sure 

• Haha 1

Remember that , Sunday morning the Lane and club row was a regular outing .Used to watch the fella selling the crockery pile it up in his arms and throw it up in the air a bit while all the time talking to customers , we always wanted him to drop the lot but he never did . Used to buy dr martins boots just off brick lane at Blackmans ,we were fifteen then ..don’t suppose he’s still there now that was fifty odd years ago ...

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, sussex said:

Remember that , Sunday morning the Lane and club row was a regular outing .Used to watch the fella selling the crockery pile it up in his arms and throw it up in the air a bit while all the time talking to customers , we always wanted him to drop the lot but he never did . Used to buy dr martins boots just off brick lane at Blackmans ,we were fifteen then ..don’t suppose he’s still there now that was fifty odd years ago ...

Same here mate lol pair of boots had to do us all year lol 

• Haha 1

Great pics, especially the young lad with rabbit in his pocket, and the Jr pup standing alone. Never to be seen again unfortunately. The world is ruined with, health and safety, animal welfare groups and bloody do gooders. 

Atb j 

• Like 3

Everyone of them great photographs. I think people took more time before digital when number of exposures were limited, film was expensive and developing/printing even more so. Love the 1 that looks like EBT pups being handled and the little lad peering out.

• Like 2

Amazing pictures I was down there every Sunday my grandad used to trap birds over the Mudchute on the Isle of Dogs and he used to sell them in the Bird Cage Pub,  I remember it being a very busy market until the latter years early eighties maybe, people were fighting the animal rights mob there was some fantastic punch ups people rolling around in the gutter knocking the shit out of them.

A perfect Sunday was down the lane buy a load of shit you didn’t need or want lol, me mates used to call me Arthur Neagus then down the pub for roast potatoes on the bar and get hammered in a lock in.

Any one remember the National Front and Combat 18 handing out stuff on the corner of the Army & Navy good old days.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sussex said:

Father used to work in London and lodged with his sister in Putney.  Sometimes I was put on the London bus to be met at Victoria.  He used to take me down to petticoat lane market and to some other market.  It was the spectacle of it.  When I was a kid, occasional we used to go to Maidstone market. I don't know what year it carried on but probably up to the seventies.  There were loads of puppies, kittens, rabbits, various random things like mice, reptiles and various birds for sale very similar to those pictures.  It was a different era and you could buy bits to mend watches and stuff that you wouldn't even consider now.  The China seller who threw all the plates all over the place.  The meat vans,  the bloke that sold things to boost the sparks on spark plugs. They put the plugs in a jaguar of oil to test the spark.  In the auction halls there were mountains of boxes of fruit and veg there were rails like clothes rail of everything that lived like hundreds of rabbits, hares, duck ,geese , everything.  The thing was that they were sold for virtually nothing.   I couldn't see how it was even worth taking the stuff there.  You could buy a big box , like a tomato box of runner beans or raspberries for about a shilling, 5p.!  There were lorry loads of sacks of potatoes.   thing just changed and watches weren't repaired and shoes were just thrown away and nor resolved.  ENGLAND past.

Edit.. The market sellers shouting banter.  The beating down of prices.  And when the final price was shouted out the rush of the crown who surged forward to buy the crap that they didn't want in the first place.  This was urged on by the market sellers stooges  placed in the crowd.  Stuff like bed sheets that when you got them home they weren't the right size or when washed the stiffness washed out and they were as thin as anything. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1