Airgun hunter, natural hides.

Well lads with all the strong winds/ gales there is plenty of dead wood about and I always put it to good use this time of year.

So here's the base build in place, notice I always try to enter from the back .

IMG_0448.JPG.abd05f0b3f85e8db5593045a52f3fd7b.JPG

I`ll simply add more deadwood etc, etc. Grass , twigs, anything that looks right and natural.

This hide is sighted some 28 yards lased, from a good sitty tree by a growing crop.

No long range shooting required just a little fieldcraft. :good:

If the pigeons start to damage the crops the hide is ready and waiting for just a couple of camo nets.

Here's the second stage.

IMG_0450.JPG.0cc78a7ae905c8d4db9a1f6e63ca9f5d.JPG

Here's just a single camo net in place, I normally work under 3 or 4 nets and wear full leaf suite also, I`m sure you can imagine just how hidden you become with this method.

IMG_0477.JPG.faec1c701ee5d9290bea2fd19c3bb5d9.JPG

At the 28 yard mark any of the calibers can be used.

A very effective hunting tool a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle becomes with a little bit of field craft.:yes:

atb. Mark.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Mark, are you trapping the netting under the branches or on top. It doesn't matter whether you are using a sub 12 or fac mate, a good hide is a good hide.....period.

One of our permanent hides is a max of 40mt at the furthest point but we still use fac rifles because they are our 'go to' rifles and don't regard them as too powerful for closer range plus despite the hide being for rabbits / squirrels, we take pigeons landing in the far trees at around 85mt so offers us an ideal tool for the job. 

Phil

• Like 1
11 hours ago, philpot said:

Nice one Mark, are you trapping the netting under the branches or on top. It doesn't matter whether you are using a sub 12 or fac mate, a good hide is a good hide.....period.

One of our permanent hides is a max of 40mt at the furthest point but we still use fac rifles because they are our 'go to' rifles and don't regard them as too powerful for closer range plus despite the hide being for rabbits / squirrels, we take pigeons landing in the far trees at around 85mt so offers us an ideal tool for the job. 

Phil

Hi Phil,

No rocket science mate, a bit of both really, a base frame of branches, grass, netting then grass and netting again and just "build how you feel" until the blend/ look is right with the surroundings.

One of the most important parts of any hide is that its impossible to see through it in any way, as the slightest movement will be detected at sub 12 ranges but at 85 meters/ 90 yards " ish" the quarry would be far less worried about you than at 28 yards.

That's the bit that really floats my boat about sub 12ft/lb air rifle hunting, range reduction, stealth, reading the land etc, etc.to get in range undetected,- fieldcraft, each to their own, I know :good:.

Yes, I always pin down each layer of netting as the slightest movement, especially at the base is a big give away.

6 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Hi Phil,

No rocket science mate, a bit of both really, a base frame of branches, grass, netting then grass and netting again and just "build how you feel" until the blend/ look is right with the surroundings.

One of the most important parts of any hide is that its impossible to see through it in any way, as the slightest movement will be detected at sub 12 ranges but at 85 meters/ 90 yards " ish" the quarry would be far less worried about you than at 28 yards.

That's the bit that really floats my boat about sub 12ft/lb air rifle hunting, range reduction, stealth, reading the land etc, etc.to get in range undetected,- fieldcraft, each to their own, I know :good:.

Yes, I always pin down each layer of netting as the slightest movement, especially at the base is a big give away.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::feck:

• Haha 3

You back then ? 

TWAT XX

• Haha 2