Thoughts on this cross

3 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

Dogs are intelligent enough to work out the pace that is required to catch their prey.Speed is a great attribute but those of us that were lucky enough to be old enough to witness a coursing event, will know that speed can be a disadvantage. overshooting cost many a dog first place Ferreting a dog that can work out what position to be in is worth its weight in gold i had one it showed up a few dogs with so called reputations. Anyway just enjoy the game while it lasts.

100% speed agility and a bot of savvy goes a long way

• Like 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are intelligent enough to work out the pace that is required to catch their prey.Speed is a great attribute but those of us that were lucky enough to be old enough to witness a coursing event, wi

Up on the moorlands and dales you don't need plenty of speed,you need enough but you also need toughness and brains,a pal of mine has had  ACD 1/2 x's for ferreting up there and a better cross takes s

You try slipping a dog on something it sees 200 yds away without the speed to get there before its out of sight.

45 minutes ago, Tom n Sky said:

It takes a fast dog to catch the rabbits here, they don't half run and the fields are big. 

If the dogs more of a plodder, using only brains to catch, then it won't be catching much. I need speed and brains

For rabbits, that cross sounds decent for any land, day and night, plenty of sight hound and the other Xs are pretty quick with wind to boot, how much brain do they need and why?, could breeding and instinct not work? if that's the type of dog you want then maybe it's just a bit of enquiring on Dam and Sire For working background etc. 

Edited by NE_Monkey
Word change
10 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

Dogs are intelligent enough to work out the pace that is required to catch their prey.Speed is a great attribute but those of us that were lucky enough to be old enough to witness a coursing event, will know that speed can be a disadvantage. overshooting cost many a dog first place Ferreting a dog that can work out what position to be in is worth its weight in gold i had one it showed up a few dogs with so called reputations. Anyway just enjoy the game while it lasts.

Dogs are fecking retards at times,especially the faster uns,the faster they run the dumber they often where and thats a fact.You could not take a greyhound on the fells and catch much,to fast to dumb and not enough wind.It would be pointless taking the smartest dog in the world,border collie,and expect much more in the bag and a combination of the 2 would have been not quite as useless,yet still useless.The art of the lurcher was to produce a mutt that had all the qualities to augment the individuals hunting lifestyle.Im as young as some and much older than the average on here,id not have ventured into the moors,dales and fells without a mutt that owned the smarts,the wind,the constitution and more importantly the raw speed to cover the distances the quarry warranted,at times the 30 yd slips where shadowed by the blur moving on the distant horizon and a lurcher that could not adapt to both was a turd.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Maybe you would of been better breeding of your bitch 

I would have loved a pup from her, but I had to have her spayed. For the month before, during and after her season, which came twice a year.... So that's 6 months of the year she would be enraged with hormones. 100% fine with people, but any dog, whether it was my others or anybody else's, she would think nothing of tearing them apart just because they might of looked at her funny. 

So had her spayed and she's a different dog. Funny what hormones can do. 

38 minutes ago, NE_Monkey said:

For rabbits, that cross sounds decent for any land, day and night, plenty of sight hound and the other Xs are pretty quick with wind to boot, how much brain do they need and why?, could breeding and instinct not work? if that's the type of dog you want then maybe it's just a bit of enquiring on Dam and Sire For working background etc. 

In all fairness " a bit" of brains would be enough. Or would you call it breeding and instinct. 

I have whippets and they can be like headless chickens at times. Rabbits are being lost due to stupidity. I really need something more than that. 

10 minutes ago, Tom n Sky said:

In all fairness " a bit" of brains would be enough. Or would you call it breeding and instinct. 

I have whippets and they can be like headless chickens at times. Rabbits are being lost due to stupidity. I really need something more than that. 

When are you losing rabbits?

Sounds a handy mix, I'm not a big fan on heavily saturated collie types but they can and do make handy pot fillers. 

Best of luck with it if you go ahead with a pup. Keep us updated