Thoughts on this cross

I have come across a planned litter of.... 

Collie kelpie greyhound x collie whippet greyhound 

Sire 24", Dam 23"

Im wanting another lurcher, mostly for ferreting and occasional lamping. 

Working over rough hill ground and also large grass fields. 

Has anyone had this cross? 

I'm just wondering what they may be like for my use?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are intelligent enough to work out the pace that is required to catch their prey.Speed is a great attribute but those of us that were lucky enough to be old enough to witness a coursing event, wi

Up on the moorlands and dales you don't need plenty of speed,you need enough but you also need toughness and brains,a pal of mine has had  ACD 1/2 x's for ferreting up there and a better cross takes s

You try slipping a dog on something it sees 200 yds away without the speed to get there before its out of sight.

8 hours ago, Tom n Sky said:

I have come across a planned litter of.... 

Collie kelpie greyhound x collie whippet greyhound 

Sire 24", Dam 23"

Im wanting another lurcher, mostly for ferreting and occasional lamping. 

Working over rough hill ground and also large grass fields. 

Has anyone had this cross? 

I'm just wondering what they may be like for my use?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated 

That will take a bit of time 

53 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Sounds too much working dog not enough running dog for me,I'd only want a 1/4 working dog at most.

Up on the moorlands and dales you don't need plenty of speed,you need enough but you also need toughness and brains,a pal of mine has had  ACD 1/2 x's for ferreting up there and a better cross takes some finding for brains,speed and toughness..

• Like 3
2 hours ago, fireman said:

Up on the moorlands and dales you don't need plenty of speed,you need enough but you also need toughness and brains,a pal of mine has had  ACD 1/2 x's for ferreting up there and a better cross takes some finding for brains,speed and toughness..

The first dog I went ferreting with was a acd cross grey owned by an old rabbiter,tough as old boots but did lack speed for over here in the dry hills.I know a lot of people like this cross and other working dog crosses but I like really quick dogs for the rabbits here.Only problem I've had with them is barbed wire when they are young.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

The first dog I went ferreting with was a acd cross grey owned by an old rabbiter,tough as old boots but did lack speed for over here in the dry hills.I know a lot of people like this cross and other working dog crosses but I like really quick dogs for the rabbits here.Only problem I've had with them is barbed wire when they are young.

I had a acdx a few years back and lost her at 11 months but she'd put to bed plenty of rabbits,munjac,cwd and a few hares in her short but active life and she was on the cloddy side lets say,so some have plenty of speed for rabbits..

• Like 1

i had kelpie x collie x grey bitch , 23 in strong build , great at mooching in the day not bad in the lamp. But she had bad temp, would attack other dogs and people, tried a year with her , but to dangerous in the end had to pts. maybe you be ok going back to collie whippet grey in the mix, it be watered down anyway .!  but for me it be to much collie in the mix, 1/4 plenty of collie i think in any lurcher .!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

So you put the dog to sleep at a year old? Or did you get the dog as an adult?

no the dog was 15 months old, tried  a extra   year with  it , but no good . i t was fine with me, but thats it, nobody else. i had to muzzle her when out. the last straw was she went for my son , having a coffee in the kitchen  one day,   my lad made the coffee, went to pass me the cup, and she went for him, so that was the end off her . spoke to other lads back then, who had this x, this was about 19 88 , i think and there dogs were ok, m. but maybe just a bad dog , as say, she was fine with me no prob, but nobody else or dogs, she fight any dogs that came by me, she piled into a lab one day, she nearly 1/2 killed it, bloody strong thing she was, tan colour solid  bitch with strong head on her ,  if been just me and her she been ok, but marred with 12 year old boy back then, s o thats it mate. i know you got this similar type x kelpie x grey  bitch  , you prob be ok with her, that bitch showed aggression   from 10 months old, i hit her etc , made no difference  to her, shame really  but there you go, ive got  big soft dog now lol, daft with people and dogs, all dogs are different mate .;)

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Was just wondering if maybe it was the dogs upbringing that caused them reactions, seen some collie crosses that were diff dogs when owned by diff folk but yet the first owner never seemed to be doing anything wrong, for all we know our dogs there’s lots we will never grasp about em ?

true mate, yeh had er from a pup, the only thing i do know that she was top dog in the litter, so i got on top of her from day one, but she settled to me,  but nobody else . and being honest mate , it was having her, made me relies  how lucky i am with  Buck, because if  he had her temp, he living nightmare to take out , she was powerful for her size, but fook me if Buck ever did kick off  he could do massive damage very quick to another dog or person  , i have cops at my door. thank god he big soft thing .

9 hours ago, fireman said:

You try slipping a dog on something it sees 200 yds away without the speed to get there before its out of sight.

• Like 3