Night Bushing

I did on occasion before i lost my lurcher. Eye damage put me off most specks but in more 'open cover' (if that makes sense!) it can be good fun. As long as the bushers push stuff out and not keep chasing it round in the cover, though on most occasions, stuff flew out better than daytime. I used them cheap the lighted collars, which do make a difference to your view.

I used to do it regular. I found you have to pick your spots and know what you're likely to bump into otherwise it can get a bit too exciting. Garmin collars and a good headtorch are a must. I've got thermal now and a new generation of bushers to start next season. I reckon I'll be giving it a go again ?

• Like 5

I don’t mind a bit of night bushing, normally go over the golf course opposite my house and let them run free for an hour or two. Just had to cut tonight’s session short though as my young dog just hit a tree. I’ve got thermal so I will watch them through that as they go about there business and they had just had a little run when I could see one of them was on the way back towards me and in between us sat a couple of bunnies between a tree line so as he s within 20 yards I flick the lamp on then as he spots it and turns he hits it. A right f***ing thud. Heart was in my mouth as I got to him and it was like he was fitting but I’m not sure if just in the moment he trying to keep getting up and his legs going on him. I sat next to him for 10 mins letting him get his head together and walked him back home on the lead. Wasn’t walking too bad but not perfect. Checked him over pressing and rubbing him down and there’s no sign of pain so I’m hoping it just took the wind out of him and just a bit concussed. I’ll go check on him couple of times before bed but hopefully he ok. Not nice to see especially when he worked so well for a young dog in his first season. I’ve gave him inflacam and a big feed so hopefully that helps with any pain.Atb Igz

• 6 months later...
On 10/03/2020 at 21:19, Igz said:

I don’t mind a bit of night bushing, normally go over the golf course opposite my house and let them run free for an hour or two. Just had to cut tonight’s session short though as my young dog just hit a tree. I’ve got thermal so I will watch them through that as they go about there business and they had just had a little run when I could see one of them was on the way back towards me and in between us sat a couple of bunnies between a tree line so as he s within 20 yards I flick the lamp on then as he spots it and turns he hits it. A right f***ing thud. Heart was in my mouth as I got to him and it was like he was fitting but I’m not sure if just in the moment he trying to keep getting up and his legs going on him. I sat next to him for 10 mins letting him get his head together and walked him back home on the lead. Wasn’t walking too bad but not perfect. Checked him over pressing and rubbing him down and there’s no sign of pain so I’m hoping it just took the wind out of him and just a bit concussed. I’ll go check on him couple of times before bed but hopefully he ok. Not nice to see especially when he worked so well for a young dog in his first season. I’ve gave him inflacam and a big feed so hopefully that helps with any pain.Atb Igz

I know that feeling ,when mine hit a tree and he came back round screaming at me,blood passing out his nose but like you after what felt like a lifetime got his hea together,didn't realise how much I liked him till that happened ,thought he was dead he was completely K.o......

• Like 1

Id be pretty upset if my bushers was chasing lurchers and not getting where the lurchers cant lol. To be honest ive found at night things out further so can teach em to stay in open rather than busting cover as they should