Guard training

I got broke into last night, lurcher in utility, they got in kitchen , if dog barked hard I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered, he's nearly 10 but still looks good, mostly greyhound, question is how can I train him to bark at noises, I mean proper barking as his bark is very convincing when he does which is very rarely 

Sounds mental but if you start barking and getting excited when someone comes to door most dogs will copy, just praise him when he does it, just beware if he does do it, will you be popular with the neighbors, if you don't want to start the trend yourself, borrow a dog that will do it for you, a lot of dogs will follow the pack.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Westyorkshire_lad said:

If hes not doing it and hes 10 years mate hes not gonna do it now imo , my saluki lurchers are decent guard dogs always barking abit to much at time I have been out at nights to shut them up lol 

spot on above,  a jack terrier  good watchdog , if been brought up with one of them, he deff would have barked , dogs follow each other . not everybody wants big lumbering  guard dog at there place , but a terrier with a lurcher are a good combo , and  dont cost lot to feed either . my dogs =  lurcher dont bark, but got little jack x inside he good watchdog.

• Like 3

My lurchers are useless guard dogs.  The fluffy terrier is a noisy, full on terror who would think nothing of attacking anything stepping on his territory!.  No chance of anybody getting near our place without the terrier being in full cry.

• Like 1

Get someone to sneak around outside, in sight, then ducking behind things and hiding when the dog looks. the person needs to be good and convincing but still be spotted. If the dog gets interested you go whats that, whats that excitedly. If this is going to work you both need to be good actors.

Like westyorkshire said, it might be too late but it's worth a try.