Beddys for bushing ?

My crew

We had a couple of straight bedlingtons over a period of time they weren’t up to much they always looked busy but that was about it they didn’t last long as they weren’t pulling there weight at the time the only decent one we had was a none kc Bedlington/fell the thing was a demon wanted to catch an kill every thing above an below that dog was eventually given away to another fella as lamping came the main focus. If I was ever in the market for just a busher I’d probably avoid a bedlington unless I knew fact that they were out of decent proven busher bedlington types they have become very hit and miss with the types of people breeding them most lie through there teeth it’s hard to get anything decent tbh if your bushing to lurchers I’m still in the opinion that a spaniel takes some beating I’ve a mate who keeps a spaniel an bull x he says complete game changer I’ve been thinking of a busher my self I’ll probably go down the lines of spaniel x terrier type when the timings  right 

Totally agree with you there poxon. The beddy whippets I go out with are decent. They Bush well and will go in any cover. Think it’s how you bring them on but there’s plenty out there that won’t go in cover. If you just wanted an out and out busher then go for a more bushing type. Terrier x spaniel, beagle spaniel and so on. I wouldn’t be without a busher now. See much more than when I just had a lurcher. Like you say it’s a game changer. He will keep a handful of lurchers busy! 

08822590-E6D9-455C-BC3F-B11EF0B56159.jpeg

8DD87B7E-5623-45E9-A1CC-6C920791AE6F.jpeg

• Like 14
On 10/03/2020 at 10:02, poxon said:

We had a couple of straight bedlingtons over a period of time they weren’t up to much they always looked busy but that was about it they didn’t last long as they weren’t pulling there weight at the time the only decent one we had was a none kc Bedlington/fell the thing was a demon wanted to catch an kill every thing above an below that dog was eventually given away to another fella as lamping came the main focus. If I was ever in the market for just a busher I’d probably avoid a bedlington unless I knew fact that they were out of decent proven busher bedlington types they have become very hit and miss with the types of people breeding them most lie through there teeth it’s hard to get anything decent tbh if your bushing to lurchers I’m still in the opinion that a spaniel takes some beating I’ve a mate who keeps a spaniel an bull x he says complete game changer I’ve been thinking of a busher my self I’ll probably go down the lines of spaniel x terrier type when the timings  right 

Cheers mate for your feedback. I was out today for a mooch with my brothers two droppers and beddy bitch.She only been out hunting few times but today it’s like someone switched on the lights she hunted like a demon winged the place down when close to rabbits bolted a couple and to top it of rose 3 deer happy days hopefully she keeps going 

On 10/03/2020 at 12:57, white van man said:

Totally agree with you there poxon. The beddy whippets I go out with are decent. They Bush well and will go in any cover. Think it’s how you bring them on but there’s plenty out there that won’t go in cover. If you just wanted an out and out busher then go for a more bushing type. Terrier x spaniel, beagle spaniel and so on. I wouldn’t be without a busher now. See much more than when I just had a lurcher. Like you say it’s a game changer. He will keep a handful of lurchers busy! 

08822590-E6D9-455C-BC3F-B11EF0B56159.jpeg

8DD87B7E-5623-45E9-A1CC-6C920791AE6F.jpeg

Hi mate fine looking pack you have especially one with white socks I call them.See the reason I want pure beddy for hunting compared to springer x for example is I find a good beddy trails direct from first second it picks up scent no back tracking or coming out of bushes thinking it’s flushed all hyper a good working beddy will flush trail out exactly we’re prey left cover yet still be as fast as springer or springer x through cover just my opinion on what I’ve seen cheers 

I think there’s plenty of types that would do what you are asking. The dog with the white socks is a pup. She always has her nose down and moves quick on scent. Problem with the 2 beddy whippets is they will hunt and hunt. I prefer a dog to check in every now and then or at least be able to get eyes on them. The spaniel terrier in the picture doesn’t range out but is handy for tight cover and flushing to the lurchers. I’m no expert and there’s lads out there that have decent dogs for this type of work. I do a bit of everything so just happy with what I’ve got. 

• Like 1
On 10/03/2020 at 10:02, poxon said:

I youse a wire foxterrier dog and cross it to my cocker spaniel bitch all the pups were out standing  to hunt cover and bark like hounds I keep 5 of them class dogs I had a Lakeland cocker to very good dog for covers as well 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a little beddy bitch shit hot for working cover would mark up any thing. Down side she was shy of dark. Got an old beddy lurcher bitch there 13 now  Very keen and a biddable bitch would find any thing,  work cover like a terrier and got stuck in to any thing you put her to. Can’t fault a good old beddy x in my opinion 

Edited by BobDown
  • Like 1

She’s a nice pup mate glad you happy with her I had a bitch of someone else she’s about 10 mnth old now she’s coming on well & she can run a bit season coming should set her up for a long working life ?

• Like 1