Beddys for bushing ?

My crew

Hi all I am new to this site from across the water Eire. I decided some months ago to buy a pure bedlington pup for bushing rabbits and foxes as I had seen one work cover and was very impressed has anyone any experience working this breed if so if you could give me advice or thoughts weather good or bad I’d appreciate it thanks.

Personally I wouldn't have any bedlington blood again I've had two half x and both jackers and would only give 100% when it suited,great at marking and had little success rabbiting ,mine was obedient and very easy I found stock breaking,because of the nature of them a raised voice is enough to get them to do as u want so don't be heavy handed as the bond is gone,that's my honest experience and both mine from working lines,I think the odds are stacked against you trying to find a good line hence why there a dog that has a lot of opinions from people..there's good and bad in every breed but thats my experience, sure theres lads on here that have some decent ones who could help you out.atb scentchaser 

• Like 2
On 04/03/2020 at 20:00, My crew said:

Hi all I am new to this site from across the water Eire. I decided some months ago to buy a pure bedlington pup for bushing rabbits and foxes as I had seen one work cover and was very impressed has anyone any experience working this breed if so if you could give me advice or thoughts weather good or bad I’d appreciate it thanks.

The best advice i can give you,don,t source a KC Bedlington,look for a Beddy/Fell that is more Beddy than Fell.They bush to an high standard,are extremely versatile,hunt at speed and will work large expanse and tight locations with ease.Any decent bred working mongrel terrier will suit your purpose better than a KC Bedlington.Im possibly one of the Beddy,s biggest fans,especially as a grafting animal,id source another terrier type before a KC Bedlington,all of the time.

• Like 3

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated I too find this breed as an under valued terrier of the modern time. I have seen two beddys hunt cover after foxes single handed and both would put immense pressure on fox if cover wasn’t vast the only fault I could find say compared to a beagle was one would bark the place down the other would never give tongue no matter how close have you ever found this to be a problem with beddys plus they seem to be rather shy or slightly nervous

Never worked pure Bedlingtons. I go out with my mates beddy whippets. Great bushing dogs. We are out today and they were busy. Good at putting on the pressure and marking. Not scared of any cover and definitely not jackers. Just got to get them from the right line I reckon 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Scentchaser said:

Personally I wouldn't have any bedlington blood again I've had two half x and both jackers and would only give 100% when it suited,great at marking and had little success rabbiting ,mine was obedient and very easy I found stock breaking,because of the nature of them a raised voice is enough to get them to do as u want so don't be heavy handed as the bond is gone,that's my honest experience and both mine from working lines,I think the odds are stacked against you trying to find a good line hence why there a dog that has a lot of opinions from people..there's good and bad in every breed but thats my experience, sure theres lads on here that have some decent ones who could help you out.atb scentchaser 

Cheers mate for the info this is only my second beddy first one was a dog gifted to me by my uncle he looked real placid or weak at first impression.As I had never seen one in person before but after getting him going bushing on rabbits I couldn’t believe how determined and quick to trail he was.By  the end of that summer he started to hunt foxes soon enough he was putting decent size cubs for a young dog to ground and no problem finishing the job even went for the tougher lads and stayed till dug but have yet to see one as hard over here.Was thinking of breeding my beddy bitch with mates 11 year old red fell for extra bite if you’ve seen anything similar what’s your opinion cheers

2 hours ago, white van man said:

Never worked pure Bedlingtons. I go out with my mates beddy whippets. Great bushing dogs. We are out today and they were busy. Good at putting on the pressure and marking. Not scared of any cover and definitely not jackers. Just got to get them from the right line I reckon 

I’ve heard great stories about this breed have had few beddy greyhound x very reliable lamping dogs also good noses aswell.Would beddy whippet flush rabbits from brambles or higher cover like May bush.Or would they bark after quarry when bushing just curious cheers.

They 2 I go out with work any cover. One is a half cross and the other is her daughter who is 1/4 cross.  They cover ground quickly  and range out and don’t leave much unturned. They are used for on the hills as bushers more than lurcher type work. They will let a little yap out if they are on the tail of something in cover but when out ferreting or lamping they are quiet. 

7 hours ago, My crew said:

Cheers mate for the info this is only my second beddy first one was a dog gifted to me by my uncle he looked real placid or weak at first impression.As I had never seen one in person before but after getting him going bushing on rabbits I couldn’t believe how determined and quick to trail he was.By  the end of that summer he started to hunt foxes soon enough he was putting decent size cubs for a young dog to ground and no problem finishing the job even went for the tougher lads and stayed till dug but have yet to see one as hard over here.Was thinking of breeding my beddy bitch with mates 11 year old red fell for extra bite if you’ve seen anything similar what’s your opinion cheers

My dad had bedlington 19th Lakeland and he did well with that hence my initial attachment to the breed but I consider both mine a five years of wasted time in all honesty,go for a breed you like but don't get all googly eyed about it if it's not doing what you want,bedlington and xs have some good points but for me they lack when it counts,,,,and when it counts is when it matters most,,,,wish you all the best in achieving what I couldn't,,,,if theres a lad on here who says he's got a good one then go and get an invite.when I was on here a while ago I ask the bedlington lads to show me some good lines but I got no invite.....trust me when I say I wanted a good one as I was a fan even pictures on my walls but.....fantasy and reality in my opinion are 2 different things.atb scentchaser

• Like 1

beddys make excellent jungle busters and there noses are second to none ,but then again mine aint kc and carry fell blood in there make up ,yet my first x beddy/grey lurcher is kc beddy and is as hard as nails and jibs at nothing but it is a line that goes way back ? but for a terrier id go for a hybred ,ats the best with your search.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, My crew said:

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated I too find this breed as an under valued terrier of the modern time. I have seen two beddys hunt cover after foxes single handed and both would put immense pressure on fox if cover wasn’t vast the only fault I could find say compared to a beagle was one would bark the place down the other would never give tongue no matter how close have you ever found this to be a problem with beddys plus they seem to be rather shy or slightly nervous

My Beddy,s used to scream the place down,the addition of Fell muted some,ive owned a couple of shy uns around dogs and company,murderous around the hunt.They are not everyones cup of tea,what i will state is if you see a good un you will want to own one and within a few seasons won,t own anything else.Don,t set your stall to soon on the dog you want,the terrain and your hunting lifestyle may better suit you to a Beagle,spaniel,other terrier or small lurcher.Id source anything bar the average bred bedlington because most of them are shite.

• Like 3

Use to be a old fella up here name b.orr bred some good little beddys years ago .had a real good bitch called treacle.. but for last ten years his had medium class bushers .3 years ago he used my brian dog as an out cross.turned out little belters .as far as I can gather he used another beddy over that young bitch .?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

beddys make excellent jungle busters and there noses are second to none ,but then again mine aint kc and carry fell blood in there make up ,yet my first x beddy/grey lurcher is kc beddy and is as hard as nails and jibs at nothing but it is a line that goes way back ? but for a terrier id go for a hybred ,ats the best with your search.

Cheers mate for the advice have you any pics of your dogs as I’d love to see if they show more beddy looks definitely think I’ll go down that line of breeding after the advice of yourself and others.Thanks again ?

ive had one 13 years. Used mainly as a marking dog while ferreting using nets very steady. Worked cover well good finder decent little mooching terrier and a decent ratting dog. Caught on occasion fur and feather easy to live with.A pic as a young dog.Not kc there is lakey in there and way back border.

ferreting pics 1102.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 13