Flattie rod

About 23 years ago I bought a Conoflex Flattie Fanatic rod when they were first launched and what a cracking little short range rod they were but they had quite a backbone to handle bigger fish if one was caught whilst after flat fish. I have taken double hits of cod, full house of macerel and smaller conger along with shed loads of bass so in other words not just a flattie rod but not a longer range tool.

Now this little rod is still in use albeit ready for a rebuild and I would very much like to find another to join it but they are not so easy to find and with this in mind I have started to look for another rod of the same type but again not so easy. There are a number of rods out there all proporting to be a true flattie rod BUT ARE THEY.  I have just had a few days in Anglesey and bought a Shakespeare Agility Flattie rod,  now this is a soft action little rod which certainly show every bite but I think it will also dance around in the tide quite a lot nevertheless it will be fine for fishing on the upper reaches of the Humber or for my wife to fish with so at £50, no great loss. 

One thing is for sure, this rod cannot be compared to the Conoflex so the search continues. Greys make the S75 series which includes a flattie option but no idea how good it is.  Zziplex produce a glass tip bass rod which will do the job I am sure but too much for the old pension so either I keep looking for a conoflex rod to come for sale or find a new one. Given the choice, I would prefer another Conoflex but we will just have to wait and see.

If anyone has any experience with a flattie rod that can give me an honest opinion, I will be very grateful guys.

Phil

• Like 1

A few come up on fb from time to time but they do an 11ft and a 12ft and a Mk1 and mk2 so its hard to find a match for 1 you already have. 

What's your price range? 

Ive got a pair of Afaw estuary rods which are exactly as the name suggests, for the estuary. They cast 1-3 oz, they hold well and cast beautiful. I've not had any fish of merit on them yet but its what alot of the lads down here are using for basing and gilting and know of gilts upto 8lb on em. 

Another option is the 4&bait which will cast 2-4 oz but prefers 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that and they are some that I looked at but as this type of rod is not my main usage, I am not wishing to spend too much unless I sell the conoflex and buy a pair of new rods which may be the way to go. I will take be watching to see what comes up but will have a serious look at your rods again.

My rod is the 11' Mk1 but I was not aware they ever did a 12' version of the Flattie Fanatic, certainly never seen one.

Phil

4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

I've got the estuary rods not flatties in 12 ft and it's perfect in every way imo

Yes I know that but wondered what the bite detection is like on the estury rods when catching flatties because I have a number of rods that are great for the cod or skate but not the best bite detection so I want to ensure I can see the flounder / sole actually take the bait. The conoflex will be a tough act to follow but bite detection on this type of rod for me is the most important aspect.

Phil

Thank you.

The one on the right is the same as mine but I don't know which is which and I take it that your friend is selling locally as there is no talk of delivery by courier. Is this on facebook or some other place, sorry I don't do facebook so I do not know. 

Phil

I just got my daughter to show me on facebook how to find and then contact your friend (I am an old tart who doesnt do facebook thingy) so hope to get a reply soon. I have put several questions to him so we will see how things go but thank you for your help.

Phil