I wasn’t expecting that

The plan for tonight was to go back up the shoot to try and catch up with the foxes that played me for a fool on Friday night, but as it turned out that it would be a solo trip I decided just to have a little walk around the sheep farm. I decided to take the.17hmr with me, on arrival it was very windy and snowing, after 5 minutes or so the snow cleared leaving a very bright moon, I set off to the top fields in search of rabbits as the farmer had said he’s been noticing a fair few about, as I got myself to the top gate that separates the sheep from the wheat there it was, a fox on the muck heap, I suspect it was on the rat hunt, now I know it’s not many peoples first choice fox round but at 70 yards it’s more than capable, with the crosshairs just below the eye I let one fly and down it went on the spot with not even a flinch, texting the farmer to let him know he informed me that there was a lamb in the heap, so I’m guessing that’s what it was after. Now full of confidence I set off after rabbits, the moon was bright so longish shots were needed as there was no chance of creeping up on them, I managed 11 and was asked to leave them in the fields as the farmer said “ if they are eating rabbit, they are not eating lamb” I did take 2 for someone who asked for a couple, one of them was mid munch when the lights went out and another one was shot at 115 yards in the head with a strong side wind, as you can see this little round isn’t affected by wind as much as some people think it is and they certainly do have some stopping power for a small round ( if the picture is a bit much please remove it)

75A66258-CA02-40F7-BA50-2F0060D5DF39.jpeg

92AA1ABC-B406-471E-8919-5565614D942A.jpeg

139FD155-236F-4981-974D-AA3219D12846.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Good for you mate.

You get some rabbits up there. They were out last night down here to I noticed.

The wind was gusty, must of dropped a second ?

We have a few places up here that still have rabbits in ok numbers, if you go out and get 15 or so you are doing good, it’s nothing like it used to be when 50 was an average night out with the dogs and we were getting £1.50 each for them with the jackets still on, it’s sad that I can only get rid of a couple at a time now and that I have to give all the game away, even venison ☹️ I don’t mind if people want it but not so many years ago you could almost double your wages with a couple of nights out

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

We have a few places up here that still have rabbits in ok numbers, if you go out and get 15 or so you are doing good, it’s nothing like it used to be when 50 was an average night out with the dogs and we were getting £1.50 each for them with the jackets still on, it’s sad that I can only get rid of a couple at a time now and that I have to give all the game away, even venison ☹️ I don’t mind if people want it but not so many years ago you could almost double your wages with a couple of nights out

Absolutely mate.

I use to sell a thousand a year but then the game dealer folded.

I would struggle now around here any way what with vhd.

I'm happy now anyway with one or two for the pot.

Don't get to down mate it's progress apparently ???

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Well done!

Back in the seventies when i was on fifty pounds a week i could supplement my wages by lamping rabbits with a couple of decent lurchers. I would try to get a hundred in a night, taking as many sitters as possible. I used to keep four lurchers at a time and ran them alternatively. I would take two out and leave two in the van then alternate. I would be out all night Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was paid a pound each for them just gutted but i had to leave the kidneys in.

Then there was the time rabies was on the continent and they couldn't use their fox skins. There was a furrier down South called Cobbledicks i think who advertised for fresh fox skins. If it was a top skin you would get twenty five pounds plus your postage back but you had to skin everything feet, head the lot. I spent a lot of time pursuing Reynard every way i could snares, terriers etc, i have even picked them up freshly run over and skinned them. They paid a fair few bills for me.  

• Like 5