Mesh size...(Long nets).

Mr Wilkes

After looking at some old pics of our night time netting a certain pattern seemed to come to light regarding the size of mesh and how the rabbits were caught. On the last two nights out all the rabbits caught were balled up tight and going nowhere, the nets used were 4z 4” mesh and while they certainly caught well the rabbits were balled up that tight that they were a proper pain to kill ( in the net)  and shake out. So today I looked in the old photo album and came across these pics... the nets used were hand made 4 1/2” mesh double strand Engels. Time to get knitting for next season I think.

34810731-6F43-4B48-9D8C-D0346C2431D6.jpeg

A784D23E-ED6A-4744-8AD8-D854295B656C.jpeg

005013AE-4CB8-47D1-A431-B16DC3E0B492.jpeg

A93AA5BB-5FD4-4D99-BDD0-D6698C4CCBE1.jpeg

• Like 3

I've always favoured the bigger mesh as long as the twine has virtually no stretch to it,, think we all used the 4" when the nylon sheets came available,, worked just fine so they did, though the twine at the time had a stretch to it,, many years ago when I was out a few times I used 4 1/2", in 5z nylon,, this sheeting was sourced from the USA,, and it was superb,, minimal stretch and caught really well, one could clean a net a lot faster and I also found less mending was needed regarding repairs, that alone was a bonus,, if any rabbits did make escape then good luck to them as they must have been poorly in size,, that engel twine sure does work well,, makes life so much easier,, I'm on a project just now,, 0.25 braided nylon engel doubled up,, the single is deadly,, light weight and handles like a dream,, so fk it,, I reckon doubled up will be even better,, more weight yes, but I'm gonna give it a go as I've never knitted a double braid,, might need to give it to a night netter like yourselfs though as my days  are over, lack of ground locally with rabbits, damned shame so it is. 

• Like 1

Netrigger, I was just sorting a order with Engels. I couldn’t decide whether to get 20/9 or 20/12 spun poly for the body of the net, most of what I’ve knit have been  20/9 double and they do the job perfectly but thought I’d give 20/12 a try... then you mentioned 0.25  braided nylon and my ears pricked up... does it come in a colour ? And what knot would you recommend ?. 

3 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

After looking at some old pics of our night time netting a certain pattern seemed to come to light regarding the size of mesh and how the rabbits were caught. On the last two nights out all the rabbits caught were balled up tight and going nowhere, the nets used were 4z 4” mesh and while they certainly caught well the rabbits were balled up that tight that they were a proper pain to kill ( in the net)  and shake out. So today I looked in the old photo album and came across these pics... the nets used were hand made 4 1/2” mesh double strand Engels. Time to get knitting for next season I think.

34810731-6F43-4B48-9D8C-D0346C2431D6.jpeg

A784D23E-ED6A-4744-8AD8-D854295B656C.jpeg

005013AE-4CB8-47D1-A431-B16DC3E0B492.jpeg

A93AA5BB-5FD4-4D99-BDD0-D6698C4CCBE1.jpeg

I was saving them pictures for my book (joke)..

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Netrigger, I was just sorting a order with Engels. I couldn’t decide whether to get 20/9 or 20/12 spun poly for the body of the net, most of what I’ve knit have been  20/9 double and they do the job perfectly 

They do the job perfectly.......

Then why use a different twine that at best will also be perfect and possibly not as perfect.

We both know if it does not match the perfect net you wont use it and the time/expense taken to make it is wasted..

10 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

They all catch Fred but by knitting something you can make it to your own requirements. 

I understand that ?. I can't get my head around this spun polly stuff. I have a few purse nets and I hate them they seem like wool to me. netrigger did me some crossbraid nylon in 0.75mm and they are the dog's danglies. would imagine 0.25mm in same stuff would make a great net unfortunately I am no knitter.