best line

On clean to mixed ground and estury work I have used Sufix Tritanium mono 14lb for years and rate it very highly. I use it on both fixed spool and multiplier reels.  I used Sufix Supreme 65lb but for the past couple of years switched to tapered leaders from various brands and using Daiwa at the moment  but to be honest I think I will go back to fixed strength line such as Sufix Zippy.

I use braid for all my lure fishing but as yet not tried it on my bait fishing although it is on my list of things to do but not sure if I will use it on my multiplier reels, jury is out on that one.

Phil

4 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Why your all answer what line /breaking strain is best for pier/rock mark fishing? It's for my shimano light boat reel I'm going to use with my dad's old beach caster rod.

As you have a straight lift from the water to the pier, I would be using around 25lb mono which will have some stretch to allow the fish to bounce a little although if you are using a large drop net it will ease the issue.  I used to fish on Shoreham jetty near Brighton where it was a 40ft drop and using 20lb mono, I had no issues at all but I used a line with loads of stretch, Berkley Trilene Big Game although not good as a beach line in my opinion because of the amount of stretch but I must say this was some years ago so perhaps that line has changed now.

Phil

• Like 1
On 28/02/2020 at 20:27, skinner said:

what do you think is the best line for beach fishing as I need to get some 

For clean ground I use rovex 10x as do alot of lads I fish with, strong and very resistant. You can pick up bulk spools for 20ish quid and it's lovely line, personally use 19lb as most beaches have a snag or 2 

14 hours ago, philpot said:

On clean to mixed ground and estury work I have used Sufix Tritanium mono 14lb for years and rate it very highly. I use it on both fixed spool and multiplier reels.  I used Sufix Supreme 65lb but for the past couple of years switched to tapered leaders from various brands and using Daiwa at the moment  but to be honest I think I will go back to fixed strength line such as Sufix Zippy.

I use braid for all my lure fishing but as yet not tried it on my bait fishing although it is on my list of things to do but not sure if I will use it on my multiplier reels, jury is out on that one.

Phil

I tried tapered leaders but just couldn't get on with them, found them to be too unreliable with weak spots. I just use asso classic in 60lb, not the best but works and is cost effective and strong 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Why your all answer what line /breaking strain is best for pier/rock mark fishing? It's for my shimano light boat reel I'm going to use with my dad's old beach caster rod.

What type of fishing are you doing? If I'm out and out rock fishing I use rovex devil 40lb straight through; this is for eels/huss/wrassing as the line is very strong and resistant but has alot of stretch to pull through snags. I use this for all heavy work with a simple rough ground rig. 

If fishing normally on piers or rocks for things like bass/rays/cod etc I use my standard 19lb rovex 10x with 60lb shock. Another good strong line but its also small diameter in comparison to alot of line of the same strain. 

For light or float work I use the same line/reels I use for estuary fishing which is just asso casting in 15lb 

Mulleting I use yo-zuri in 6lb or 10lb, this is a fantastic super strong fluro/mono hybrid that punches well above its weight 

• Like 1