Coronavirus

19 minutes ago, Balaur said:

We've just bought a pig on co op basis on allotment, reading small holder posts most people can't supply the demand, if I had livestock I'd be trying to avoid supermarkets and get them on FB or social media ...never been a better time for market gardens and small holders, different for large scale I guess....

How does that work, the co op shares on the pig, does everyone get an equal weight of meat of the animal when it's killed. 

Atb j 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know what you mean me and my youngest lad are going wild camping for a few days he's austic and has a mad interest in sas so I have set it up with one of my perms were we will set up in a wood survi

"We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another. Suddenly Disney is out of magic, Paris is no longer romantic, New York doesn’t stand up anymore, the Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mec

Ok lads, now ive had a couple of emails sent to me, one of em, well what can i say, im not very good with words, but these come from the heart, Gnasher, hes offered me more help, than 4 charities that

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jetro said:

Up until the last number of years, we just slaughtered  our own animal's, but as you say, times have changed. A bit to much red tape now imo. Was watching an Australian programme about rual living. You can call a mobile slaughter man to your small holding, and he will take of business for you as well as the butchering. A great little number if you could do it here. 

Atb j 

not sure you can lgally do that in the uk      but if needs must!!

5 minutes ago, riohog said:

not sure you can lgally do that in the uk      but if needs must!!

I know you can't, or here in Ireland either. 

By right, anyone who has a small holding or farm, and wants to kill their own stock, for their own use, not for selling,they should be allowed, after they sit and pass course on been a slaughter man/woman, and do a butchery course. Then get licence to do it.

Atb j 

31 minutes ago, Balaur said:

We've just bought a pig on co op basis on allotment, reading small holder posts most people can't supply the demand, if I had livestock I'd be trying to avoid supermarkets and get them on FB or social media ...never been a better time for market gardens and small holders, different for large scale I guess....

Still got to get it killed and cut up, legally. Which Is the hard part in this area of the country. 

Also I’m talking 250-350 lambs a load, every week or so. 

1 minute ago, jetro said:

By right, anyone who has a small holding or farm, and wants to kill their own stock, for their own use, not for selling,they should be allowed, after they sit and pass course on been a slaughter man/woman, and do a butchery course. Then get licence to do it.

Atb j 

i think i might manage as i have done in the past?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yer you get registered mobile slaughter men that will kill for you on farm etc 

Didn't know that was done in the UK. 

That's great, saves on a lot of hassle 

Atb j 

40 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yer some will even take and hang etc 

Not too many about but they do exist. 

Is there much in the line of work for these Mobil slaughter men. Could be an opening for a young person to set up a tidy little business for themselves. 

Atb j 

1 hour ago, jetro said:

Atb j 

To be fair, it’s €25 for a lamb, €50 for a pig and I have a butcher who will kill and joint, mince, burger, sausage two 10 month old veal calves for €200......I think it’s worth it not to have to deal with the mess personally mate.

The lad at the slaughter house joint my lambs and pigs on the bandsaw while I wait, it’s not flash but it does me fine.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, WILF said:

To be fair, it’s €25 for a lamb, €50 for a pig and I have a butcher who will kill and joint, mince, burger, sausage two 10 month old veal calves for €200......I think it’s worth it not to have to deal with the mess personally mate.

The lad at the slaughter house joint my lambs and pigs on the bandsaw while I wait, it’s not flash but it does me fine.

When you get a service like that, why would you go anywhere else. But to be fair not everyone can.

Is it the slaughter house in ballyhanius, or balainrobe.  

My kids used to love going up the slaughter house, watched the process from start to finish. 

When I type that out, it looks bad lol, but explains a lot ???

Atb j 

• Haha 1

Just 're read you post wilf, you getting a brilliant deal there. I'm nearly sure it's 50 they charge here for a sheep, don't know about a pig, and a couple of hundred for a hefier 

Atb j 

7 minutes ago, jetro said:

When you get a service like that, why would you go anywhere else. But to be fair not everyone can.

Is it the slaughter house in ballyhanius, or balainrobe.  

My kids used to love going up the slaughter house, watched the process from start to finish. 

When I type that out, it looks bad lol, but explains a lot ???

Atb j 

Ballaghadereen mate and the butcher is in Castlerea 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, WILF said:

My grandad kept pigs yrs ago in back yard like a lot of folk back then ,they got the butcher in to deal with it .

• Like 2