Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Now that to me is common sense 

I live on the last point of Europe, fairly remote, all the shops are nearly cleaned out of food stuffs, the delivery drivers told a few shop owners, they mightnt be any food deliveries for the next two weeks. That's pure rubbish imo, I can't see how or why this could happen.

Atb j 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know what you mean me and my youngest lad are going wild camping for a few days he's austic and has a mad interest in sas so I have set it up with one of my perms were we will set up in a wood survi

"We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another. Suddenly Disney is out of magic, Paris is no longer romantic, New York doesn’t stand up anymore, the Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mec

Ok lads, now ive had a couple of emails sent to me, one of em, well what can i say, im not very good with words, but these come from the heart, Gnasher, hes offered me more help, than 4 charities that

Posted Images

A storm in a tea cup. Yes people are going to die. It happens, a fact of life. It's going to be mostly elderly people with underlying problems, or people with auto immune, or cancer. I know I sound harsh, and it is sad when it happens, when we loose a loved one, a close member of the family, but it's not like the plauge ( black death) or the Spanish flu. It's not going to wipe out millions of healthy people young and old. 

Just be sensible, and it should ( hopfully) be over in a few weeks.

Atb j 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, jetro said:

I live on the last point of Europe, fairly remote, all the shops are nearly cleaned out of food stuffs, the delivery drivers told a few shop owners, they mightnt be any food deliveries for the next two weeks. That's pure rubbish imo, I can't see how or why this could happen.

Atb j 

Because as wilf said... we're too reliant on this globalised bollocks. Business I can understand but ok... for a bit of exotic fair, fair enough but local is best and sustainable. All my meat comes from local, veggies too, fish and seafood.. I'd be a liar if I said it came from anywhere near me. Most is from Blighy's shores. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mushroom said:

Because as wilf said... we're too reliant on this globalised bollocks. Business I can understand but ok... for a bit of exotic fair, fair enough but local is best and sustainable. All my meat comes from local, veggies too, fish and seafood.. I'd be a liar if I said it came from anywhere near me. Most is from Blighy's shores. 

And the worst thing about it is, Ireland and the UK could be self reliant, with meat, veg, fish and some fruits, with plenty to export as well. Cant understand why were not. Plus there would be plenty to trade between the two countries for a start.

Atb j 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, jetro said:

And the worst thing about it is, Ireland and the UK could be self reliant, with meat, veg, fish and some fruits, with plenty to export as well. Cant understand why were not. Plus there would be plenty to trade between the two countries for a start.

Atb j 

For veg growers shops and supermarkets will not pay a fair price. They want to pay 20p for say a Cauliflower and sell it for £1 to £1.50 just not worth it and they want it perfect. In this country the middle man wants far more profit than the man that produces it. A grower we clear rabbits and pheasant for(Pheasants are a real pest to him)going to give up veg and just grow flowers, theres more money in flowers.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Arry said:

For veg growers shops and supermarkets will not pay a fair price. They want to pay 20p for say a Cauliflower and sell it for £1 to £1.50 just not worth it and they want it perfect. In this country the middle man wants far more profit than the man that produces it. A grower we clear rabbits and pheasant for(Pheasants are a real pest to him)going to give up veg and just grow flowers, theres more money in flowers.

Cheers Arry

That's the same with us here with lobsters,  we get say 12 euro a kilo, the shops sell it for 30 euro, it's the same with meat, and as you said veg. It need to be regulated better.

Atb j 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WILF said:

Stock markets all over the world would tend to disagree though mate ?

Just to clarify, you said that we should take this serious because governments are 'stopping the hamster wheel', at the very least implying that they know something about the severity of this pandemic that we don't. It really depends how you define 'severe' I guess but I don't feel that in terms of fatality or health effects that COVID19 is much to get in a flap about. Based on what data is being published so far. If we take reasonable precautions then likely hardly anyone will die, those that do will likely be less than prime anyway and in a years time we'll all be getting jagged for it and worrying about the next 'disaster'.

I think the governments response is generally political, they have seen the fear and don't want to be the administration that was tared with not taking it seriously. If they do something, then the electorate will go "Oooo remember that corona flu, I think old Jim at 28 had a bad do with that", rather than "Those f***ing Tory c**ts couldn't give a shit about the working man, we're just slaves to them, remember when that corona was going around and they did nothing".

Look, yes we should be doing stuff to mitigate this, because if we did absolutely nothing at all then globally hundreds of thousands (out of 7B!) will likely die from it. Mostly people with compromised health from certain conditions (co-morbidity). It is worse than seasonal flu but equally when was the last time you heard of someone dying from the flu? So 10-20 times f**k all issssss.........

The stock markets are reacting because that's what they do, some of it is legit because supply chains are being threatened and some of it is panic. I watched a video this morning of a pallet of toilet rolls being delivered to some UK store and the masses stripped it like piranhas! WTF, it's f***ing toilet roll! That's all been caused by a few idiots who have caused a genuine supply problem out of panic which the masses have then responded too. None of it is logical! Frankly I reckon traders at the LSE and NYSE etc are exactly the same except they wear thousand pound suits! :laugh: Let's also not forget that there has been a giant oil crash recently caused mostly by OPEC telling Russia to get f****d and turning on the taps when they told the markets they would crank em down.

This pandemic has caught us all with our economic pants down in many ways, imo much more so that it is threatening our health or lives.

Maybe the bottom line is that I'm a c**t and everyone is actually going to die. :laugh: As I said, in six months let's have a re-evaluation and see who got it wrong.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Someone told me rightly or wrongly that the loo roll panic buying was triggered by Brexit, simply because we don't manufactur bog roll in our country any more.

Load of bollox andrex is made in the UK 

• Like 1

Talking about stock markets, listen to this for a few minutes... Still reckon the markets reflect reality and are controlled by rational people?

I'll acknowledge that this very respectable guy paints a slightly more serious picture than I have been.

I've got to challenge this though, and I wish Joe did to clarify. He says Spanish Flu had a 3-3.2% case fatality rate (CFR = percentage of people who caught the virus who then died from it) and then goes on to say that COVID19 is potentially as bad as that because current estimates are putting the CFR at around 2-3%.....

:hmm:

I've been reading up about the Spanish Flu pandemic to put this COVID19 in to context so that claim had my eyebrow raise a bit. Not denying he's the undoubted expert however so are the CDC...

In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

So that's at least a 10% CFR for the Spanish Flu (which is what I understood to be the truth), not 3-3.2%! FYI some estimates put it at 20% with 100M deaths. I think that is a fairly significant factual error, he's made. Again, I'm not the expert, he is and I'd love for someone to clarify this.

If I was to guess I'd say he's confused the case fatality rate of the Spanish Flu with it's mortality rate, ie the percentage of the worlds population that died which was around 3%.

The quote,

Edited by Born Hunter