Importing a folder knife,

The prices that are being asked for knives is bloody silly.  I know that they are a small production number but it just seems like everything is getting priced up by name hype rather than what it is.  Most of this is the consumers fault because the person thinks they look the part.  All the gear and no idea.  A bloke that I know wanted to go shooting so I offered.  up he turns in his immaculate black 4X4 to go shooting.  When I said about putting the spaniel in the back, he didn't want that because it might put a bit of dirt on the carpet. (what) ??? ( dogs on shoots getting wet and muddy !!!! )   I bet that most of the so called hunting knives bought never get used.  They only sit on the side to be cleaned and shown off.  Mostly I carry a small (Draper.... Chinese) folder with a 3" blade.   The blade is good stainless and takes a while to get a good edge but it does hold that edge. guts rabbits and skins larger stuff and if I loose it the thing is only a couple of quid.  There was a bloke near Maidstone that made bushcraft knives from his shed and they were spot on.  the whole thing and they were only about a hundred.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used opinel for years but got frustrated by them slipping out my pocket in the truck or when sat down. I decided I wanted something with a pocket clip and got a Kershaw folder from heinie Hayes clea

Google Heinnie Hayes that have a good website, a range of prices and ship to here no problem

i am a knifemaker  i make predomenatly for deerstalkers  they dont sit on the shelf they are tools. and my time is worth something!!!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Meece said:

The prices that are being asked for knives is bloody silly.  I know that they are a small production number but it just seems like everything is getting priced up by name hype rather than what it is.  Most of this is the consumers fault because the person thinks they look the part.  All the gear and no idea.  A bloke that I know wanted to go shooting so I offered.  up he turns in his immaculate black 4X4 to go shooting.  When I said about putting the spaniel in the back, he didn't want that because it might put a bit of dirt on the carpet. (what) ??? ( dogs on shoots getting wet and muddy !!!! )   I bet that most of the so called hunting knives bought never get used.  They only sit on the side to be cleaned and shown off.  Mostly I carry a small (Draper.... Chinese) folder with a 3" blade.   The blade is good stainless and takes a while to get a good edge but it does hold that edge. guts rabbits and skins larger stuff and if I loose it the thing is only a couple of quid.  There was a bloke near Maidstone that made bushcraft knives from his shed and they were spot on.  the whole thing and they were only about a hundred.

i am a knifemaker  i make predomenatly for deerstalkers  they dont sit on the shelf they are tools. and my time is worth something!!!

82008757_10215673320366041_5450045273621397504_n.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, riohog said:

Don't get me wrong now, I don't want a knife for half nothing but I couldn't justify paying 300 and some 8 and 900,i had a budget of 120 in my head to pick up a well made durable pocket knife, I've bought some decent knives in the past, and understand it takes time to make a good tool, but I will do without rather than pay more than I'm comfortable with tbh

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Don't get me wrong now, I don't want a knife for half nothing but I couldn't justify paying 300 and some 8 and 900,i had a budget of 120 in my head to pick up a well made durable pocket knife, I've bought some decent knives in the past, and understand it takes time to make a good tool, but I will do without rather than pay more than I'm comfortable with tbh

good luck i hope you find something your happy with:thumbs:

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I know mate yet I’ll pay for other stuff, like iv said I appreciate the work an everything it have never found I needed summat better? I’ll try one one day an see what all fuss is about haha

to be fair on the farm an opinal  takes some beating 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, riohog said:

Yes it is. And I  didn't write that to demean any knife maker/craftsman and their work but prices are driven by what someone is prepared to pay for quality and function. There are so many wannabes out there that buy stuff because they think that product A makes them A : look the part in their mind and B: to to other wanabees who don't know any different.  A Purdy shotgun is a fantastic piece of gun making art that will last lifetimes but it don't shoot a pheasant deader than a cheap s/h baikal out of the bargain bucket. Although the Purdy is a tribute to the craftsman.  You only got to look on any gunshop rack to see the amount of 1.7 hmr's that  there are that haven't shot more than a box of cartridges at a paper target before the wanabee novelty has worn off.  Some knives are used for the purpose but when you lòk at the myriad of industrial makers and cottage hobbyist makers they offer far more than can ever be used by valid stalkers.

58 minutes ago, riohog said:

to be fair on the farm an opinal  takes some beating 

I had an opinel, and I have to say I never liked it, think its just me, (most definitely me}... Even the buck 110 knife, very durable 50 to 70 quid to buy, I just don't like it, I gave my opinel away after 2 months.... Just didn't do it for me

1 hour ago, Meece said:

Yes it is. And I  didn't write that to demean any knife maker/craftsman and their work but prices are driven by what someone is prepared to pay for quality and function. There are so many wannabes out there that buy stuff because they think that product A makes them A : look the part in their mind and B: to to other wanabees who don't know any different.  A Purdy shotgun is a fantastic piece of gun making art that will last lifetimes but it don't shoot a pheasant deader than a cheap s/h baikal out of the bargain bucket. Although the Purdy is a tribute to the craftsman.  You only got to look on any gunshop rack to see the amount of 1.7 hmr's that  there are that haven't shot more than a box of cartridges at a paper target before the wanabee novelty has worn off.  Some knives are used for the purpose but when you lòk at the myriad of industrial makers and cottage hobbyist makers they offer far more than can ever be used by valid stalkers.

ill bet you wont find a knife made by a hobbyist or a dstrialmaker that willmake a knife like that in that steel    bestar becut ,that knife goes to work every day and has done for the past 2 years and will do for many years to come , but having said that the hand that uses it knows what its doing .by the by  that knife was made by me ad given as a gift !!

• Like 1

I used opinel for years but got frustrated by them slipping out my pocket in the truck or when sat down. I decided I wanted something with a pocket clip and got a Kershaw folder from heinie Hayes clearance section. It was marked down from £70 to £17 and I couldn't be happier with it. The clip makes sure it stays in my pocket, it's nice and light and holds an edge. Does everything from opening boxes to gralloching fallow deer!

Edited to add that it's not my usual knife for deer but on the odd occasion when I've not been very organised It's done the job admirably

Edited by Tyla
Added a bit
  • Like 2