Ive been watching some skinning videos online and various trappers and they usually put them on those stretchers . Ive seen them fleshed on there aswell then left to dry . 

My question is there any other steps after this? Ive seen and read borax etc used on them and used "snowdonia taxidermy white tan" myself before but it doesnt seem to be used in a few of the videos I've seen 

8 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I think the very minimum is done to sell a fur mate .The tanner does the rest .

Borax rubbed in or in solution with salt is the curing agent .You doing fox pelts .

Ive done a mink before and used the white tan solution and it came out ok , i did a rabbit that came out awesome before tho and a squirell that would make a decent frisbee it was so bad . 

I do want to make a rug/throw out of a dog fox at some point.  Watched a guy for 3 hours on youtube from stsrt to finish on a coyote that was very helpfull 

• 1 month later...

Yes as said boarding is just for drying out the pelts till end of season or till they have enough skins to sell. There is no easy method to tanning hides. It takes work, time, and timing, to do them properly. I got a video on eBay a few years ago, showing in detail some tanning methods. Think it was by Johnny Thorp if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Its the timing when they come out of the tan , breaking the hide at the [BANNED TEXT] point gets them nice and soft, a fair amount of work,some of  these were done with white tan and others with a secret recipe that a certain person on here told me

DSCN0636 (1).JPG

DSCN0640.JPG

DSCN0642 (1).JPG

• Like 2