cow/stable mats

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even horses get straw on top of that stuff. Seems a bit harsh for a dog as there's nothing for it to curl into or make a nest. Never mind heat lamps, dogs need to snuggle down into a bed, and not only

As much as that’s very neat and clinical , I’d find that cold pal 

I use the horse matting with sawdust. This defo stops the little bald patches on boney protrusions. One dog kicks all bedding out shavings/straw and eats carpet/cloth so he is on matting only and is f

Posted Images

1 minute ago, TOMO said:

i think you need something comfy on top of that stuff.....

When I first built the kennels I put carpet on top and the 2 big dogs pulled it off. Now if the dogs were curled up on the carpet they d pulled off fair enough. I then went and got a load of blankets from the charity shops and again all pulled off and dogs just messed on them . I ll trust the dogs judgement 

• Like 1

yeh that can be the trouble with raised beds some dogs are forever pulling stuff down ...some never do.....

my raised bed is now boxed in so they cant pull stuff down very easy....they would have to pull it out the entrance side wich is small....just wide enough for the dog to jump in ...

• Like 1

I like the idea of raised beds as the dogs can get out of any drafts at floor level, but as Tomo says, put sides on them and fill them with straw or blanket rags. Dogs don't just curl up to keep warm, it's a natural way to lie, keeping their bellies safe, an ancient instinct. They  lie flat out when they are too warm or completely relaxed as well. I've never had a dog mess on its own bedding: weird.

I’ll be using raised beds like these there cheap easy but I’ll also be providing vet bed as well should do the trick for them to snuggle down in Im not really a fan of dogs sleeping on rubber matts but each to there own 

CDE5E21E-CC75-4F0D-9ACE-7BA5326252E8.jpeg

• Like 2

I intend to use wood shavings over the top of the mats.

The reason I am looking at this underneath is, they are lying on wood shavings at the moment but they sometimes get little bald patchs on the bony bits at the bottom of their legs from the wood underneath  when they have made a round spot to lie in, if I fluff the shavings up every  other day it stops that to a degree but not completely. I did use other types of bedding but they all have there faults.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’ll be using raised beds like these there cheap easy but I’ll also be providing vet bed as well should do the trick for them to snuggle down in Im not really a fan of dogs sleeping on rubber matts but each to there own 

CDE5E21E-CC75-4F0D-9ACE-7BA5326252E8.jpeg

thats what i have for the old dog with a cushion on top ,he loves it ,the young dogs try to tear it to bits though so waxed paper in the timber dog box for them 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, joe ox said:

The reason I am looking at this underneath is, they are lying on wood shavings at the moment but they sometimes get little bald patchs on the bony bits at the bottom of their legs from the wood underneath  when they have made a round spot to lie in, if I fluff the shavings up every  other day it stops that to a degree but not completely. I did use other types of bedding but they all have there f

37 minutes ago, joe ox said:

The reason I am looking at this underneath is, they are lying on wood shavings at the moment but they sometimes get little bald patchs on the bony bits at the bottom of their legs from the wood underneath  when they have made a round spot to lie in, if I fluff the shavings up every  other day it stops that to a degree but not completely. I did use other types of bedding but they all have there faults.

aults.

I ve tried all sorts over the years mate. Straw and shavings blocked the drains when washing down . It’s whatever works for you and all dogs are different. I ve got an old terrier bitch that whatever you put in her box be it straw, blankets ,paper she ll just sleep on top of her box. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joe ox said:

I use the horse matting with sawdust. This defo stops the little bald patches on boney protrusions. One dog kicks all bedding out shavings/straw and eats carpet/cloth so he is on matting only and is fine . hth

• Like 2

Ive used it but like Skycat said always put bedding on top of it.Also used it in the bottom of travel boxes as its easy to drag out and hose off and stops the dog slipping about.Ive got a pile of it about 4ft high in my pals yard as we had to dig a manage out and the whole area was covered in it under the woodchip.I talked him into bringing it back rather than skipping it as it might come in handy and its not moved in 5years.Id be lethal if I had my own yard.

• Haha 1