177 vrs 25 the better one?

2 hours ago, Meece said:

I'm not an air rifle shooter but  Years ago I had a Sheridan blue streak in 20.  We highly modified it by gas flowing the internal valve unit. Originally They were designed for 8 pumps  but we set it up for 10 which it dumped in one go. It was supremely accurate and would drop rabbits out to about 60 paces.  The only problems were the pumping of the thing and the internal seals didn't last very long with the pressures. The muzzle report was loud and I  made a silencer for it.  Overall It was very accurate and effective but it was nowhere as useful and effective as a 22lr using subs. No pumping, no constant repairing the internals and no packing in when out using it and about 20+ paces further range. We moded it for an engineering experiment to see if it could be done, how it would work, how accurate it would be and how long it would last for. I tried loads of different pellets  that were available and found that the ordinary Diablo waisted sort worked out best.  For many years I have used a highly modified old BSA ?22lr. Its old unfashionable, worthless but light, easy for a summers evening walkround and has a very accurate barrel and will easily account for Charlie if encountered. I could easily go out a buy a brand new fashionable rifle but what would I gain..?

I don't think you would gain anything Meece as what you have does what you want and for you the only time a sub 12 air rifle would be better suited than your rifles is in very restricted areas such as inside buildings, large gardens etc.  There is no doubt that a great deal of pleasure is gained by using an air rifle on quarry such as clearing rats from around pig / cattle pens or getting rid of ferals in buildings, don't forget that a modern pcp with a quality mod IS quieter than a 22lr even on subs.    well I could go on but won't.  

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

I don't think you would gain anything Meece as what you have does what you want and for you the only time a sub 12 air rifle would be better suited than your rifles is in very restricted areas such as inside buildings, large gardens etc.  There is no doubt that a great deal of pleasure is gained by using an air rifle on quarry such as clearing rats from around pig / cattle pens or getting rid of ferals in buildings, don't forget that a modern pcp with a quality mod IS quieter than a 22lr even on subs.    well I could go on but won't.  

Phil

A friend ( the best rifle shot that I have ever seen)( only ever seen him miss once and that was back off hand out of the back of a moving truck) ( he instantly reloaded on the move and took the target second shot) and I walked into a large half block and top clad building and without any warning fired a 22.250 no silencer...whilst walking.  The noise was ear shattering.  After I had regained I asked " what the hell are you doing"? " Rat" he replied.  I Said "you F... ing idiot'. What.!.? He said " I got it you know".  I Said "you F... ing idiot". We had a look around for this target and it couldn't be found but when we went out of the door there was Roland on the ground.  nearly cut in two.  Moral is 22.250 is not the right gun for shooting rats in a building.  The ammunition cost is too high. AND you go deaf. ???

Edited by Meece
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, philpot said:

don't forget that a modern pcp with a quality mod IS quieter than a 22lr even on subs.   

I bet you it ain't quieter than a 22 sub short.  you only hear the firing pin strike and the bullet impact

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Or employ a heavy .177 pellet.

No, surface area, the .20 has a larger head, delivering a better transference of shock of impact, rather than penetration. I am becoming a .20 convert you know, it is a rather good calibre for air rifles. Possibly the best....

13 hours ago, Meece said:

I bet you it ain't quieter than a 22 sub short.  you only hear the firing pin strike and the bullet impact

To be honest meece, I have never tried them but would like to, any rcommendations. What range are we talking about with the shorts as a matter of interest.

Phil

5 hours ago, secretagentmole said:

Let me throw a curve ball in, go 0.20! Weight, speed, good trajectory, all there. 

Transvestite cal  doesn’t know if it’s a .177 or .22 

like Mark said , use a heavy pellet in .177 and lighter pellet in .22 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, philpot said:

To be honest meece, I have never tried them but would like to, any rcommendations. What range are we talking about with the shorts as a matter of interest.

Phil

The last ones I had Phil, were sellier and bellot and I couldn’t push them beyond 50 yards as accuracy started to suffer. In fact, I’ve still got a few left. They were dirt cheap mind, about £2:70 / 50 I think, so ok for rats on an old embankment where I shoot. The chamber needs a good clean after a good few have been used, as they leave a burn ring that makes subsequent lr rounds tight to chamber.