New to falconry

Mikey Dread

Hi all 

just looking for some advice on Avairy / Mews I’m looking at getting myself a Harris Hawk ( I do shoot and have access to a fair few acres of land  ) ive read a few books and watched lots of useful stuff on YouTube to to prepare for the the arrival of my bird but there are many different opinions on housing the hawk ! the one I have is a 14 foot long x 6 foot high x 5 foot deep kennel ( used for the spaniel) which I’m thinking of using with a few mods , I’ve also got the option to ad around another 4 foot to one and leave open to the elements ( the roof at the moment is fully across and slopes towards back ) so the bird can get wet / get some sun . The kennel at the moment has a compartment for sleeping which is enclosed and was going to use this end to keep the bird warmer in the winter months ( maybe ad small heater tube ) the front is heavy gauge wire floor to roof with the other end open ( were I’m going to extend the 4 foot bit ) 

my question is should I let the bird have the space free or keep it tethered? 

Mike

AD8BB346-B039-4AB1-AAE9-B8863D57C9C2.jpeg

On 23/02/2020 at 14:24, Mikey Dread said:

Hi all 

just looking for some advice on Avairy / Mews I’m looking at getting myself a Harris Hawk ( I do shoot and have access to a fair few acres of land  ) ive read a few books and watched lots of useful stuff on YouTube to to prepare for the the arrival of my bird but there are many different opinions on housing the hawk ! the one I have is a 14 foot long x 6 foot high x 5 foot deep kennel ( used for the spaniel) which I’m thinking of using with a few mods , I’ve also got the option to ad around another 4 foot to one and leave open to the elements ( the roof at the moment is fully across and slopes towards back ) so the bird can get wet / get some sun . The kennel at the moment has a compartment for sleeping which is enclosed and was going to use this end to keep the bird warmer in the winter months ( maybe ad small heater tube ) the front is heavy gauge wire floor to roof with the other end open ( were I’m going to extend the 4 foot bit ) 

my question is should I let the bird have the space free or keep it tethered? 

Mike

AD8BB346-B039-4AB1-AAE9-B8863D57C9C2.jpeg

Also many people start of falconry with a Harris but I’ve read the red tail is also a decent hawk to start with ? Would this be advised? 

3 hours ago, Mikey Dread said:

Also many people start of falconry with a Harris but I’ve read the red tail is also a decent hawk to start with ? Would this be advised? 

If you learn the trade with a redtail it will put you in good stead to fly just about anything. Whereas if you learn it with a Harris it will only condition you to fly a Harris. You would get a lot more knowledge about weight control and handling with a redtail. It will teach you patience and manners among many other attributes.

• 4 weeks later...