I’ve had better ideas

After getting a phone call from the sheep farm informing me that a fox had been spotted in with the lambs I told him I’d be up tonight, now the wind is strong but we can deal with that, so I picked up longshanx and headed to the farm, on arrival we noticed that the wind had got stronger and it had started to rain, by the time we got to the top field the rain was heavy and sideways so we tucked up behind a hedge and gave it half an hour with the mouth caller, by this time the wind and rain was mental so that was the end of that, back to the car, I stopped off at the lambing sheds to tell the farmer I was calling it a night and would be back up as soon as I could as it won’t be long before the fields will be full of lambs, on another note I put the laser ir on my nv spotter and I’ve no idea why I didn’t do this before, it’s just about double the distance I can pick up eye shine ?

B4DD345E-25B6-4E84-B054-7143117DA32F.jpeg

D0E440D5-8E77-46DA-80C0-7877CC16B443.jpeg

• Like 6

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I thought I’d give the sheep farm another go tonight, now the wind was still mental but at least it wasn’t raining, tonight I took little Hugo’s dad with me, I gave him the chance to shoot as he

After getting a phone call from the sheep farm informing me that a fox had been spotted in with the lambs I told him I’d be up tonight, now the wind is strong but we can deal with that, so I picked up

I’m getting rid of them for you, it’s not me who screamed like a girl and made 10meters in two strides? proper beadle moment ?

Posted Images

Sh1te weather out there tonight,  I'm still waiting to christen my .223 but I'm not going out when it's blowing a gale & p1ssing down, so that will have to wait, hopefully get out on the pigeons tomorrow on a syndicate shoot if a few body's don't turn up, the a400 will get a session on live stuff

• Like 2

I admire your dedication stav but your mad,, the weathers been pure sh1te these last few weeks!

I was thinking the other night when I was stuck in and board stiff its been over a month since ive had a walk out with a rifle due to the rain or horrific winds. 

been invited on a keepers vermin day today, theres gonna be five of us with a lot of ground to cover.. looking forward to it but its howling outside!

we must all be a bit unhinged, ive spent all week working in it and now ive got a day off im gonna do it again:doh:

• Like 3

Still blowing a hooley here on the east coast but I have just popped over to my quarry perm to fill the squirrel feeders................NO WIND so a session on the rabbits is in order if the rain keeps away although we do have a roof on one of the hides and with that in mind, perhaps we should get one on the other hide.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  ?

Phil

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I got up early to go out. Let the mut out but when she came back in wet I made a brew n got back in bed... it'll keep.

How much was that laser thingie stav?

They are not cheap, at about £120 I got it to go with a night vision scope when I finally make my mind up what I’m doing 

5 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

How far back does that pen go mate? Bet its bit tight dropping a round in that ring! 

It goes back about another 15’ where the pens are with the lamps, that’s probably the smallest one, I think there’s only 14 ewes in there, there’s another 4 next to that and massive shad the other side of the yard, the also have a round house in the middle of the yard that used to have about 40 beast in it and they use that as well, they are well into it now with a fair few tucked up against the hedge backs trying to keep out the wind and rain last night

1 hour ago, Tyla said:

Perfect weather for lamping lurchers! Just a shame mine are all pretty ancient now. Maybe time to start thinking about a puppy. 

I said the same thing to my sheep farmer mate, it’s been a long time since we’ve had the dog out

30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Woo woo, just think you can spend all day lambing and then all night waiting for the gingers, you will never see your family again 

Only 6 ewes left to go (pretty sure one of them is empty) then I have a whole month of no lambing before starting second batch in April!! ???

• Like 3

My Friend Tim a welsh hill farmer does his first 3 weeks in March ,non stop sleepless grind you guys have my respect and Mctavish of Sausagedogs i,m afraid 120 is about average for a laser the difference is mr Reynard sees I;R but cant see laser so he doesnt know your there .

Jess aint daft she knows if i use the hose he,l think its raining and i can stay in :lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Baldcoot said:

My Friend Tim a welsh hill farmer does his first 3 weeks in March ,non stop sleepless grind you guys have my respect and Mctavish of Sausagedogs i,m afraid 120 is about average for a laser the difference is mr Reynard sees I;R but cant see laser so he doesnt know your there .

Jess aint daft she knows if i use the hose he,l think its raining and i can stay in :lol:

Biggest issue we (and everyone else) has had this year is no being able to turn them out due to lambs no having flippers!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well I thought I’d give the sheep farm another go tonight, now the wind was still mental but at least it wasn’t raining, tonight I took little Hugo’s dad with me, I gave him the chance to shoot as he has had a couple of misses lately and needed to redeem himself, I even let him use his chopstick shooting sticks, On arrival I noticed that a group of ewes and lambs had been moved to the top field as this is the driest place on the farm, so that’s where we headed, getting to the top of the field it was a few seconds before we spotted the fox heading at a good pace along the track towards the lambs, no need for the caller with this one, the lambs were doing all the work, as it was coming in at a fair rate of knots I told him to mount the gun, as soon as I lit it up he pulled the trigger, for a moment I thought the shot was to quick and another miss but the thermal proved me wrong, a dog fox at 85 yards, farmer over the moon and maybe Hugo’s dad has got his mojo back, after this we headed back to the farm for a bit of shelter and set the caller away with lost lamb, nothing else showed so after an hour we called it a night ?

AA9584DE-FE13-4664-937F-84806EAE7CFD.jpeg

• Like 8