Any VW mechanics

4 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Do you have the part number? Not taking the piss but have you tried googling the part number? Sometimes will come up with the model fitment. 

It's not that simple they fitted that many different variations of the same pump , there's also 3 different part numbers on the pump .

Was told I needed all 3 to match but then another place as told me I only need one lot of numbers to match ..

If I get the wrong one not only will I be out of pocket on a pump and time for fitting it but then I'll have no car as it'll need re-programming and tbh it's not worth spending the money getting it re programmed 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Chid said:

It's not that simple they fitted that many different variations of the same pump , there's also 3 different part numbers on the pump .

Was told I needed all 3 to match but then another place as told me I only need one lot of numbers to match ..

If I get the wrong one not only will I be out of pocket on a pump and time for fitting it but then I'll have no car as it'll need re-programming and tbh it's not worth spending the money getting it re programmed 

Jeez yeah that's a headache. 

2 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Won't the ecu tell you anything about the pump that's fitted?

I know what pumps fitted .. I need to know what pump I can use on it , some one told me certain part numbers supersede others .. so I could use a pump with a different part number but not need to reprogram the abs system 

I’m not a mechanic but I’m sort of roustabout fitter maintainer on plant machines and we experience things like this a lot  . 

If there’s a slight variation in the pump , it will have a different part I d number . 

Generally if the machine updates the part ids change with the new catalogue so to speak. 

Have you tried to looking at an illustrated parts catalogue from a supplier to nail on what you need ? 

Or attempting to find somewhere that supplies all three and see if they’ll let you have a look at them ? 

I feel your pain and apologies if I’m telling you to suck eggs there. 

In one or two instances I’ve had , the parts have been the same from the manufacturer under “superceeded” numbers by natural evolution of the machine  eg the part may be the same under different numbers , just different series, editions , 

infuriating for you 

1 minute ago, Chid said:

I know what pumps fitted .. I need to know what pump I can use on it , some one told me certain part numbers supersede others .. so I could use a pump with a different part number but not need to reprogram the abs system 

I see what your saying sounds like you need a really good main dealer, vw forums have some seriously knowledgeable people on them might be worth a post mate

19 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I see what your saying sounds like you need a really good main dealer, vw forums have some seriously knowledgeable people on them might be worth a post mate

Main dealer = £800 + vat for part alone , can buy a refurbished unit for £255 + vat (lifetime guarantee) 

Been trawling vw forums for info but none are really giving a definite yes that part is interchangeable with this part ? just my luck ?