Lanner falcons for hunting

RIP.JD

I currently fly accipiters, but interested in getting a falcon, the lanner has caught my attention. However there seems very little about them being used for hunting. The research I have done suggests they catch birds in pursuit rather than a stoop. The pursuit falcon of choice seems to be the Aplomado, is there a reason why lanners aren’t used. 
Any help welcome..

Regards

22 hours ago, RIP.JD said:

I currently fly accipiters, but interested in getting a falcon, the lanner has caught my attention. However there seems very little about them being used for hunting. The research I have done suggests they catch birds in pursuit rather than a stoop. The pursuit falcon of choice seems to be the Aplomado, is there a reason why lanners aren’t used. 
Any help welcome..

Regards

Most people I no or herd of who fly lanners uses them for displays or lure birds , I no a lad who flys an  aplomado female and while she’s a nice gutsy bird she’s more of a small bird falcon , if you going for gulls crows ,rooks etc I’d go for gyr x saker or Pere x saker ,or gyr pere saker ,,moorman off here flys one and it’s a killing machine , one his friends breeds them and for a very good price , 

• 1 year later...

Ben Woodruff is an excellent source. He is on UTube a lot and is working in doing videos on his favorite falcon, the Lanner.

In Europe and the USA Lanners are popular as display Falcons doing lure flying but not flown much on game here in the USA. My understanding is Lanners are valued more than Peregrines in South Africa. The Africans trap passage Lanners… prolly the reason the South African Lanners are excellent falconry birds for hunting.

https://youtu.be/03x99zjkneM

Ben Woodruff intends to be releasing more videos on Lanner Falcons

• 1 month later...

If you have lots of partridge around then maybe a female Lanner might be worth concidering. Captive bred Lanners tend to get lure bound VERY quickly, and getting a longwing fit and entered quickly requires experience. 

If you are serious about hunting a longwing then Peregrines, Sakers and Pairie falcons are generally easier to get hunting with. But you will need a lot of country, ideally a good point/flush dog, the best telemetery going and a lot of time. My first season with a longwing was many years ago, and I did not catch much, but I learnt A lot.