Tree for the Granddaughter

Brilliant is that....lovely trees are walnuts ....I do a huge manor house every year in the garden trapping squirrels ...I'm doing it right now they have a big walnut must be hundreds of years old....

• Thanks 1

I have in my garden a oak that was grown from a acorn from the Winfarthing Oak which was the second biggest oak in the land and the oldest living thing in East Anglia until it died,there's a story little behind it and there was a old couple who lived in my house before us and years ago  the chap collected some acorns from the oak and when he got home he stashed them up in a out house.Time went by and the old man died and his old pal was helping his widow clear out the out houses and they found the acorns,his pal knew where he had collected them from and took them home and tried to germinate them,one grew and when it was big enough to plant out he gave it to the widow and she planted in her garden.It's getting house top high now and the acorns and leaves do my head in every year and it ruins the grass,but by feck am i ever going to cut that tree down after learning about why it's there :laugh:..

• Like 7

Fireman....maybe you could pollard it......they reckon the major oak here in Sherwood notts....was pollarded as a young tree that's one of the reasons it's lived as long....and that's around a thousand years old

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Fireman....maybe you could pollard it......they reckon the major oak here in Sherwood notts....was pollarded as a young tree that's one of the reasons it's lived as long....and that's around a thousand years old

I'll have to google what pollarding is :icon_redface:but i do want to make the crown smaller all over as it were before it gets silly to big and really ruins my garden lawn  and i'll be getting someone who knows what there doing to do it for me as it is a sort of special tree,well to me it is anyway..:victory:

20 hours ago, fireman said:

I'll have to google what pollarding is :icon_redface:but i do want to make the crown smaller all over as it were before it gets silly to big and really ruins my garden lawn  and i'll be getting someone who knows what there doing to do it for me as it is a sort of special tree,well to me it is anyway..:victory:

Just give it a good hair cut....it won't kill it.....I have a European evergreen oak in our back garden...I have done that twice now in the last 17 year.....stops it getting to tall....last time I just did it with the bow saw....do it now in winter as well

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Just give it a good hair cut....it won't kill it.....I have a European evergreen oak in our back garden...I have done that twice now in the last 17 year.....stops it getting to tall....last time I just did it with the bow saw....do it now in winter as well

Deffo don't want to ruin it as it has it's uses at times...:laugh:

IMG_20191116_141906094_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, sid g said:

be nice in a few year arry -- few mushrooms growing under it 

Will I ever see it mate I don't think so, Maybe have to sow some spores as well Lol.  Recon I won't be around to see her grow up unfortunately its happen all a bit late for me. So I thought she might get a bit curious about her old granddad who thought to sow a walnut when she was born and plant it so she can see it grow, who knows. Perhaps I'm just a old romantic who would like to be remembered. Cant do any harm can it but we have to be realistic nobody lives for ever.

Cheers Arry

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Arry said:

Will I ever see it mate I don't think so, Maybe have to sow some spores as well Lol.  Recon I won't be around to see her grow up unfortunately its happen all a bit late for me. So I thought she might get a bit curious about her old granddad who thought to sow a walnut when she was born and plant it so she can see it grow, who knows. Perhaps I'm just a old romantic who would like to be remembered. Cant do any harm can it but we have to be realistic nobody lives for ever.

Cheers Arry

It’s a great gesture Arry, and one I have been on the receiving end of, my old gramps planted a walnut for both me and my brother, sadly one died,  ( i still have the trunk drying in the shed) but the other still grows strong to this day.

my gramps died when I was still fairly young, but I remember him most every day I see that tree.

I have also been planting a few trees about the place, mainly oak and ash, but you have me thinking about some walnuts now, how easy dd you find it to do, and what’s the idea of putting them in the fridge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 20/02/2020 at 22:20, Rabid said:

It’s a great gesture Arry, and one I have been on the receiving end of, my old gramps planted a walnut for both me and my brother, sadly one died,  ( i still have the trunk drying in the shed) but the other still grows strong to this day.

my gramps died when I was still fairly young, but I remember him most every day I see that tree.

I have also been planting a few trees about the place, mainly oak and ash, but you have me thinking about some walnuts now, how easy dd you find it to do, and what’s the idea of putting them in the fridge

I love that mate that just my vain of thought.

Rabid mate putting the nuts in the fridge is to help gemination I think its called stratifying. I suppose its to imitate winter. But I do have 5 out of about 20 that have geminated and come up. I did use fresh walnuts I have foraged which may have helped. put in damp 50 - 50 sand and peat. I also put some in a bucket that had not been scarified and out of about 12 there are 2 that have come up. The Walnut must be planted with the pointed end down out 2 inches deep.

I don't know why walnuts but its such a good wood and it produces good edible nuts. Seems a bit special some how. Atb.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3
On 19/02/2020 at 14:26, Arry said:

Back in the Autumn I was telling you guys and the rest of the world how I had become a Grandfather after waiting ten years and thinking it would never happen. Well in the Autumn I was foraging Walnuts and had the bright idea I would like to grow one for the Granddaughter, so I went about it. Put some Walnuts in damp sand and peat in the fridge in a plastic box then about Christmas wifey was giving me grief about that. So took them up the green house and some where showing signs of germinating so transplanted then into pots. Well chuff to hell some are now up, this one being the one furtherest on. I'm hoping it can be planted out on the small farm were my son lives and his daughter can watch the tree grow as she grows.

P1210508.jpeg.3fec4ac063ce56efc8dcbaaf1cd75555.jpeg

Cheers Arry

What a brilliant/ lovely thing to do I hope tree grows strong ng & healthy & your granddaughter does the same bud. Cracking idea ? Atb

Edited by Dinosaurs
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Arry said:

I love that mate that just my vain of thought.

Rabid mate putting the nuts in the fridge is to help gemination I think its called scarifying. I suppose its to imitate winter. But I do have 5 out of about 20 that have geminated and come up. I did use fresh walnuts I have foraged which may have helped. put in damp 50 - 50 sand and peat. I also put some in a bucket that had not been scarified and out of about 12 there are 2 that have come up. The Walnut must be planted with the pointed end down out 2 inches deep.

I don't know why walnuts but its such a good wood and it produces good edible nuts. Seems a bit special some how. Atb.

Cheers Arry

Thanks, I’m going to give it a go, no harm in trying.

I know what you mean about walnut, I’ve always felt they are a bit special for some reason, maybe because not your everyday tree.

• Like 1