Falkland islands

Thanks arry I got a ticket booked for Thursday evening on the High tide and both days on the weekend so Iill let you know how I get on. You get thunderstorms to boiling sun here all in a day so you have to have a bag packed for all occasions here. 

There's a place called moody brook that flows into the see by the bay. I've been told that's the place for the mullet. 

• Like 1

Great post mate. I'd quite fancy going to the Falklands for a look around. If I'm not mistaken they have an introduced herd of caribou?

Strikes me as a place where they could benefit from a bit of hunting and fishing tourism.

Looking forward to your future posts. :good:

On 19/02/2020 at 00:09, darrren said:

So I'm away for 3 months in the Falklands. Never heard of anyone fishing here and when I mentioned to arry of here about it, he told me about the sea trout fishing here. Sent me a few links and I looked into it. 

Got my trusty 16 quid ngt telescopic travel rod I've had 10 years, and a box of tobys and spinners. Initially thought I had to pay a fee but the permits are now part of.l my jobs welfare package so no reason not to go. My and my mate popped up to the location of one stretch named the frying pan. We blanked the first 2 trips, and It was looking at the ground I realised the river was tidal. 

I managed to get hold of tide times and we hit it again this time on a high tide. I bagged this cracker fairly quickly, along with loosing 2 other fish. My mate dan also caught a few small fish, but I'll just put up the better fish. 

First one was a sea trout  no scales but I think 4 to 5 lb. 

Then today I finished my 2 lads off early and we hit the bank again while the tide hit its highest and the river was up. I lost a fish early on, and it was hard going, bright clear sky's. 

Right before we were about to leave my rod buckled round on the retrieve and this sea run brown trout gave me one hell of a scrap it had a good few runs. 

I'll keep this thread going as I'm here for 3 months, and I want to get onto some of the patagonian mullet that are on the island also. And last of all, thanks arry for making sure I didn't come here without a rod!! 

IMG_20200216_160838_700.jpg

IMG_20200218_205054_855.jpg

IMG_20200218_205253_538.jpg

cracking fish mate....what kind of work are you doing out there if you dont mind me asking?

Lost a mullet tonight, a good one aswell, but now I know the bay the are sitting In. The top of the river goes to a series of 4 tunnels that run under the road and ends on the other side of the road where the 4 tunnels feed into a bay. I'll be hitting that bay now on the High tides as it floods with water, I'm sure there's a few deep gulleys in the water there. But it's also very shallow there in areas. Still gutted I lost it but I still got 2 months here. 

Work wise I'm here with the army but attached to the infantry so I got my little workshop to sort out the vehicles for the infantry lot. Only 3 of us so the nights I got a permit I just finish us a bit early then get down to the river. 

I booked is the accommodation overnight in the main town here Saturday and been in touch with the chef there he's going to sort me out some bait for the mullet. And apparently the bay in the main town is the place to catch them so I'm hoping I'll have a few photos of the mullet to share soon...

Some of the boys think I'm mad fishing every spare minute here but they don't know what it is as an angler to have a target species and put in whatever time it takes to catch it. Plus. I'm making the most of the chance of being here and catching these fish. 

• Like 8

The mullet we caught were in the bay around Port Stanley. It’s prob changed a lot since I was there. You got two choices over there. Make the most of getting out and about or drink for 3 months! There’s a few lodges you can go stay at if you get a couple of days off. We used to get the helicopter lads to drop us off at the remote inlets and then pick us up a couple of days later. Not as much health and safety back then either! There’s probably a fishing club set up over there now. 

• Like 2

We went down to the bay at port Stanley that's where moody brook flows into where we were told to go for mullet. 

We stayed the night sat the camp in Stanley so we could fish the late tide and not have to rush, and as its just an adventure training camp the head chef runs the whole place. Soon as I said fishing he said give me 5. Came back with a box rammed full of mutton.. 

He said the meat fishes way better than lures, so he made us some dinner and we went down to the bay. Started on Toby lures and wasn't long before my mate hit into the first one. Reel screaming like a good un. Shortly after I hooked into my first. We had a few on lures then switched to a bottom rig to try this mutton out. 

IMG_20200223_134505_153.jpg.e511f897711af24b3b88dd02a0916e74.jpg

As you can see, nothing technical here. A swivel to attach a bit of line to my braid, a nut as a wait, just line wrapped through a few times, a size 1 hook and a big old chunk of meat. 

Had a fish withing 30seconds of it entering the water. Probablem was it was very deep hooked and I don't like leaving a hook in any fish I return. I switched to a float I bought over here. Its a pike bung essentially. Big thing it is, so I tried that with it suspended in the water. 

IMG-20200223-WA0037.jpg.064b22e79e2f366e1b3db4780ed81533.jpggreat fun seeing the float cock, move along then go under and I could strike early that way not to deep hook. Here's a few photos of me and my mate with a few fish. These mullet here grown to 20 lb so you don't know what youll end up with. But put it this way, even at this size they scream the reel. 

IMG-20200223-WA0013.jpg.d24dc142f6de760f11aaa1e4f68feb0c.jpg

IMG_20200223_134324_302.jpg.9301a4072f539e57bf797d96d3ae7acc.jpg

IMG-20200223-WA0012.jpg.7efb7a05edf4fbd93a01a157618113b5.jpgIMG-20200223-WA0001.jpg.dae7fb3c819455e6a463b578ff1c2de4.jpgIMG-20200223-WA0002.jpg.4ee2a6e8b52f2c4f4b710251a9236851.jpg

IMG-20200223-WA0010.jpg

• Like 5