Crazy little piggy lol

Just now, WILF said:

I always find it strange that most lads here keep cattle and yet they have never eaten their own beef ......they shop at Supervalue instead which I just think is mental.

Wasn't always like that. We killed our own.

Now it's, money. Make more selling them, and cheaper to buy what's needed and when. 

It's was mostly sheep killed at home, and most if not all houses. Cattle were and to valuable to kill for the table, if you understand me.

Atb j 

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the Boer goats, but like sheep, I don’t like the fact you are meant to medicate them so much. I lost a load of sheep to Fluke the other year, we suffer bad with fluke here in the west of I

I'm just picturing thick cut white bread, butter, chef brown sauce and them lovely beauties sizzling away on the pan lol. They look a picture of health, a credit to you Atb j 

You see all these programmes on the telly mate and everyone is ticking along, up to their elbows building things out of rock with their bare hands etc etc.......my experience has not been like that I

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, jetro said:

Wasn't always like that. We killed our own.

Now it's, money. Make more selling them, and cheaper to buy what's needed and when. 

It's was mostly sheep killed at home, and most if not all houses. Cattle were and to valuable to kill for the table, if you understand me.

Atb j 

I rear on a couple of bull calf’s from the milking lads now and again, €50 buys them, bit of feed then out on grass upto 10 months then kill for veal 

Butcher charges me €200 to kill and joint, make sausages, burgers, mince etc so €300 fills my freezer with totally organic veal for over a year.....that’s cheap eating that is.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I rear on a couple of bull calf’s from the milking lads now and again, €50 buys them, bit of feed then out on grass upto 10 months then kill for veal 

Butcher charges me €200 to kill and joint, make sausages, burgers, mince etc so €300 fills my freezer with totally organic veal for over a year.....that’s cheap eating that is.

Can't beat them prices. Good quality, and you know what your eating as well. Plus the out lay for feeding and vets, doseing ect is little 

Thsts the way it should be done by thoes you can do it 

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jetro said:

Can't beat them prices. Good quality, and you know what your eating as well. Plus the out lay for feeding and vets, doseing ect is little 

Thsts the way it should be done by thoes you can do it 

Atb j 

Most I have had to do is the TB test and the vet don’t charge full wack to do a couple of little un’s like that.....maybe €40 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

Most I have had to do is the TB test and the vet don’t charge full wack to do a couple of little un’s like that.....maybe €40 

Good on him. That's a gent.

Is there much tb up that way now. I don't think I ever saw a case of it here. Strange that.

Atb j 

3 minutes ago, jetro said:

Good on him. That's a gent.

Is there much tb up that way now. I don't think I ever saw a case of it here. Strange that.

Atb j 

I have not heard of any reactors here mate.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, WILF said:

That's a fair change from the depths of London to what you are doing now wilf.

Fair fecking play to you ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, king said:

That's a fair change from the depths of London to what you are doing now wilf.

Fair fecking play to you ?

You see all these programmes on the telly mate and everyone is ticking along, up to their elbows building things out of rock with their bare hands etc etc.......my experience has not been like that I can tell you now ! Lol ? 

I have just messed along making loads of f**k ups, trying this, trying that and my only goal was that we could feed ourselves with our own meat and we have....so that’s good.

I also wanted to have a place where my kids could build a home mortgage free and they can do that too if they want because there is enough space for them to have a couple of acres each, so again that’s good.

Im sure more motivated, more clever blokes than me could have done a lot more but I’m alright and I like it.

The place had been neglected for years and has taken a lot of getting to a point that’s just OK.

But f**k it, there’s a chance I’m here forever so no rush.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

You see all these programmes on the telly mate and everyone is ticking along, up to their elbows building things out of rock with their bare hands etc etc.......my experience has not been like that I can tell you now ! Lol ? 

I have just messed along making loads of f**k ups, trying this, trying that and my only goal was that we could feed ourselves with our own meat and we have....so that’s good.

I also wanted to have a place where my kids could build a home mortgage free and they can do that too if they want because there is enough space for them to have a couple of acres each, so again that’s good.

Im sure more motivated, more clever blokes than me could have done a lot more but I’m alright and I like it.

The place had been neglected for years and has taken a lot of getting to a point that’s just OK.

Sounds like you are doing spot on mate.

Just keep chipping away at it.

It will all eventually be all sorted.

I wouldn't live in a big city if I was given a big house and free money every week.

I have never even liked the orange street lights at night they don't seem natural at all everything wiith that pale orange glow going on.it makes me a bit on edge to be honest.

Where i am now there isn't any street lights.just black everywhere.great lol.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, WILF said:

As long as you love what your doing, and have a better quality of life, that's all that counts. 

Did you set up a polytunnel yet for veg and fruit, good way to go with home grown meat.

Atb j 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jetro said:

Isn't funny how years ago, every one with a bit of land, small holding, kept a pig or two, some hens and ducks for the table.

Not many do it now, myself included. 

Shame really. 

Atb j 

Why go to the ballache of rearing pigs when you can stick 2 detached houses on your bit of land and retire

8 hours ago, jetro said:

As long as you love what your doing, and have a better quality of life, that's all that counts. 

Did you set up a polytunnel yet for veg and fruit, good way to go with home grown meat.

Atb j 

Yep, tried that mate.....unfortunately I just am not a Gardner it seems and I always spectacularly fail in growing anything ! Lol 

7 hours ago, JDHUNTING said:

Why go to the ballache of rearing pigs when you can stick 2 detached houses on your bit of land and retire

That’s true mate, that’s the mindset for many people.

Not a bit of me I’m afraid unless it was for my kids or I was going to move away.

• Like 1

That reminds me of a little pot bellied thing i used to see in Cyprus there was an old pit bull that would wander from village to village and turn up at this gaff to get fed now and again and the owners kept a little pig in a bucket.....the pit bull would stick his nose in the bucket trying to get some of the pigs food and get a wallop for his troubles it was a savage little thing...funny to watch.