Harry Gregg. RIP.

My boyhood hero Harry Gregg has died aged 87. He was a survivor of the  1958 Man U Munich air crash and, risking his own life, went back into the remains of the flaming wreckage twice to help rescue players Bobby Charlton and Denis Viollet and  then a pregnant passenger along with her toddler daughter. He also tried to revive manager Matt Busby.

He played 13 days later in a victory over one of the Sheffield clubs.

He would always stop and chat to us kids and always gave an autograph if asked. A proper bloke, a real man.

It's sad kids don't have  heroes of his calibre these days.

Well done Harry, you were a top drawer keeper and a genuine role model. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Not a lot of coverage for him sadly 

The gutter press wouldn't know how to cover a story about heroism, selflessness or decency. They would rather concentrate on the likes of young footballers making  x rated videos of themselves shagging birds. Shame. There's lots of people who never get the recognition they deserve.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, jukel123 said:

My boyhood hero Harry Gregg has died aged 87. He was a survivor of the  1958 Man U Munich air crash and, risking his own life, went back into the remains of the flaming wreckage twice to help rescue players Bobby Charlton and Denis Viollet and  then a pregnant passenger along with her toddler daughter. He also tried to revive manager Matt Busby.

He played 13 days later in a victory over one of the Sheffield clubs.

He would always stop and chat to us kids and always gave an autograph if asked. A proper bloke, a real man.

It's sad kids don't have  heroes of his calibre these days.

Well done Harry, you were a top drawer keeper and a genuine role model. Thanks for the memories.

Very good post mate..

14 hours ago, jukel123 said:

The gutter press wouldn't know how to cover a story about heroism, selflessness or decency. They would rather concentrate on the likes of young footballers making  x rated videos of themselves shagging birds. Shame. There's lots of people who never get the recognition they deserve.

Couldnt agree more.....ive heard the name Harry Gregg but a little bit before my time so as a football fan id love to see dedicated sports programmes about such people and learn about a worthy sportsmans life after he has lived it.....instead of this nauseating trivial shit we have put in front of us about people that havent even finished their careers let alone thier life.....although im sure we,ll be seeing plenty about Justin Fashanu being inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame !!!

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Couldnt agree more.....ive heard the name Harry Gregg but a little bit before my time so as a football fan id love to see dedicated sports programmes about such people and learn about a worthy sportsmans life after he has lived it.....instead of this nauseating trivial shit we have put in front of us about people that havent even finished their careers let alone thier life.....although im sure we,ll be seeing plenty about Justin Fashanu being inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame !!!

Here's a clip you may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yevi8GlNgy4

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Here's a clip you may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yevi8GlNgy4

Thankyou squire....seemed like a classy individual,certainly lived a full life....i didnt know he was the most expensive keeper in the world at one point.

There should be a lot more out there about where and who the game has developed from....i have my theories why we dont see it but i,ll not darken this topic with all that ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3