Painkiller

1 hour ago, cantona said:

My lurcher was out last night and today he's very sore , I'm retiring him fully now, he can't stand without whimpering in pain, is there any painkillers I can give like ibuprofen or similar or does it have to be meta cam 

Sounds like maybe a twisted back? Metacam and a boneman would be my course of action. And a heat lamp if you have one

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Igz said:

I’ve always used ibuprofen if not metacam or the likes of and always does the same job. Same as amoxicillin. Atb Igz

ibruprofen is an anti inflammatory, f**k knows what Metacam is and amoxillin is a penicillin type antibiotic, you sure you know enough to give treatment?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cantona said:

My lurcher was out last night and today he's very sore , I'm retiring him fully now, he can't stand without whimpering in pain, is there any painkillers I can give like ibuprofen or similar or does it have to be meta cam 

i was told the best is paracetamol  by my vet  , keep away from  ibuprofen, there bad for dogs, and metcam only use for short time, as there give bad guts for dogs. my old dog bryn who 12 now, got arthritis in his front wrist, he on  1paracetamol every day  , dont get rid of it but helps with pain. if i was you i get the dog up to vet, just to check him out from proper examination  .!!

• Like 1

As Bird say's, ibuprofen is sold for people and can be harmful to dogs. I use metacam for old dogs and only give when they're sore and cut back or cut out as soon as they improve to avoid any damage. They are a non steroidal anti imflammatory, same as ibuprofen in humans.

Warmth, a little gentle and careful rubbing and a little lead walking can help too when dogs are sore after exercise.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, neil82 said:

ibruprofen is an anti inflammatory, f**k knows what Metacam is and amoxillin is a penicillin type antibiotic, you sure you know enough to give treatment?

Sorry never explained properly. What I meant was is I will use ibuprofen as an anti inflamatory If I never had any inflacam not metacam and amoxicillin as an antibiotic if dog has an infection. 

In fact my older dog has been on both of these ( inflacam and amoxicillin ) last few days as he had swelling and an infection. Didn’t even want to come out his kennel for food. Within 24 hours of been dosed up was nearly back to himself so always worked for me and also a lot of others I know. 

• Like 1