Entering a lurcher to hill work

2 hours ago, Allan P said:

If I ever get another pup I would also invest in a tracker. I’ve never used one but I would like to think it would help to be in touch with the hunt and also if anything untoward happens to the dog. Maybe some other members can help out with the advantages of a tracker?

Next investment for me too. They rarely go out of sight of the Binos but when they chase and go out of view then it’s handy to know where they are. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input gents long way off tracker yet but something to look at for the future ? going to work hard with him during the summer early mornings got lots of ground small woods , open mountain , reed bed valleys and i,m only 5 mins from the beacons allways wanted to give hill work a go but want to get the best start i can he,s a soft dog not aggressive with other dogs and still young so time is on my side 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, white van man said:

Next investment for me too. They rarely go out of sight of the Binos but when they chase and go out of view then it’s handy to know where they are. 

You will not regret getting a tracker when you decide to take the plunge and buy one. To know where the dog is saves so much time. Worrying will be a thing of the past! As much as is possible working dogs! Especially when they catch out of sight ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allan P said:

They are expensive ,but I think worth it. 

I would have lost at least one dog permanently with out collars. He fell into an underground water tank a long way from where I was. No way in the world I would have found him without the tracking collars. When I went in to get him there was a full deer skeleton and lots if other bones down there. It would've been a shit way to go

• Like 4
1 hour ago, spindolero said:

boys i know that do it basically use first season as way of ensuring they are 100% with sheep, putting them in situations where they could go wrong and watch how they react.

if they're 2 miles from you and go wrong it's too late

Yep that’s what I have been doing with my young bitch. A sheep running in a field is totally different to one bolting out of cover or from behind a rock. Wouldn’t let mine out of sight unless I’m happy they are ready to be amongst stock 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I would have lost at least one dog permanently with out collars. He fell into an underground water tank a long way from where I was. No way in the world I would have found him without the tracking collars. When I went in to get him there was a full deer skeleton and lots if other bones down there. It would've been a shit way to go

Worth every penny then. 

• Like 1