Entering a lurcher to hill work

Looking for some advice on how to bring a lurcher on for hill work i have  10 month old beddy/greyhound i have the time and the ground i don't have a older dog for the pup to learn from and wondering what i can do to better my chance of ending up with a worker and wether the cross i have is the right type for hill work he's 23 ths at the moment he's stock broken i know i have plenty of time and not to enter him to young ?  but any advice thanks 

I’m no expert Del and there’s people on here that will and do a lot more. I’ve got into walking the hills the last couple of years. My dogs don’t range too far unless they are chasing. They are out of sight a fair bit but come back and check in a fair bit. If they are on land that they know then they will push further out. My older dog was used for ferreting and lamping but I wanted to get out on the hills. I ended up going out with a lad and a couple of his dogs. He soon took to ranging out. Think going out with other dogs is the best way. The rest will come. If the dog is stock broken then don’t be scared to let it run on scent and don’t go calling it back every 5 minutes. Get on high ground and watch it work. I’ve pretty much been trying to suss things out myself as I go. I’m happy with them for what I need. I wouldn’t want them ranging for miles. I like them being in view so I can see them work and run. ATB 

BC12A7BB-F34B-4919-A7EF-066AEAAB8B4B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Lots and lots of walking, and if you can, find someone else with an experienced dog to bring him on. I think with hill type work, it’s either in them or not.

Think there’s something to do with that too. Have had dogs come out that stick close and are happy to chase when my dogs have kicked something up. Sod’s law they are the ones that catch because they still have plenty in the tank and overtake  my dogs and beat them to it! 

1 minute ago, white van man said:

Think there’s something to do with that too. Have had dogs come out that stick close and are happy to chase when my dogs have kicked something up. Sod’s law they are the ones that catch because they still have plenty in the tank and overtake  my dogs and beat them to it! 

Some dogs can just naturally hunt and will cast out well. There’s a member on here who has a hell of a hill dog, not a very big bitch, but she is unreal for hunting and finding.

Giving him plenty of hill walks and letting him do his own thing he goes so far then back but not enticing him back but the same advice crops up all the time getting him out with a dog/dogs who now the game going to give it my best shot got plenty of time thanks gents 

That’s the way mate. Don’t praise him for coming back unless you have called him. Beddy grey should have a good nose. Getting out with other dogs will speed things up. I have a young bitch here that is 11 months. She’s getting there now. She’s picking it up off the other dog. 

They say 'show the dog the rabbit' ?If you can get out with a few terrier lads, let him have a sniff about and a run on a few bolters..... Im sure the penny will drop?

I've let my bitch watch them on the lamp from a pup, watching quietly in anticipation ..... Out early morning checking snares, when there's fresh scent about.... Let the dog do its thing, could take some time.... When they pick up a line and knock one up... Run and despatch it.... Or even run it to ground for another day... Its a feeling that wont leave you?a great way to hunt on the hills and in the forestry blocks ?

• Like 1

If I ever get another pup I would also invest in a tracker. I’ve never used one but I would like to think it would help to be in touch with the hunt and also if anything untoward happens to the dog. Maybe some other members can help out with the advantages of a tracker?

My blue whippet/ stag had to learn the ropes by herself and turned into the best hunting dog I've owned,but she was from a long hunting line.I mainly worked her on really steep country at the time and the locals there reckon the smaller lighter dogs do a lot better than the bigger dogs.