Proper look out

One of the farms I do has let a couple of lads on with lamp and centre fire ,I was pissed off at first but soon realised they don’t have a clue .Its mates of the farmers son so nothing I could do .Anyway the chap who leases the ground for his chicken sheds asked me if I’d have a look round as chicken are being hammered first light .

Got there yesterday evening just after dusk and while I was setting up the nv ,a fox called nearby answered immediately by another .

Scanned with the xq38 and sure enough 3 foxes all walking around each other ,sussing one another out .

The wind couldn’t of been better and after negotiating the deep ruts frontman a tractor I got to within about 120 and set up on sticks with the pard giving the perfect image with the help of the dragon fly ir .

Wallop ,1 down .The other two ran a short distance  together and stopped .One sat up and joined the first .Number 3 ran and I thought he was going off grid but he stopped by the hedge and number 3 grassed .Paced the 3rd at 182 ,not bragging but the pard for you ,makes it all very easy .

Dragged all 3 to the track and looked around again .Another fox coming through the far hedge so walked out to meet it .This one knew I was there but stupidly thought it was safe in the darkness allowing me to get within 100 yds .Number 4 ,this one a vixen .

Dragged her to the truck and scanned the other side .Sure enough there’s Charlie walking straight at me about 60 yds .Getting rifle on sticks on gravel I must have made a noise as a scan showed him running off but once set up a squeak stopped him and number 5 joined the fallen .

Quick surprise of coffee and another scan that revealed two more foxes actually inside the electric fencing and killing a chicken that got left out .

Cant be having that so off I trek the 309 yards or so to narrow the gap .One of the foxes stayed put while I watched the other panic and jump the netting to fly thorough the hedge full throttle .

His mate however must of been in the until as a cub and paid for that dearly .

Number 6 .Bloody lampers lol .Decided on a wait here to see if the panicker would return to its meal .Over the hedge ,what was probably a vixen shouted and was answered by another very close to it .There then followed what must have been a fight with all sorts of noises only a fox can make and getting louder and louder until it spilled into the field I was in .Bloody hell ,3 more foxes .Tried to line up on one of them but they were in such a state of fury they just span around each other screaming ,I’d seen it before but great to see again .

No shot here and they were gone back where they came from still fighting .Proper late in year for all this rutting but who am I to judge .

Had a squeak and was surprised to see a fox trot down the hedge towards me ,surprised as I’d tried it on several occasions only to spook everything I’d seen .This little vixen was committed though and at about 70 , I stopped her with a whistle and number 7 rolled over .

Quality night and a few carcasses to remind the farmer who the real controller is lol .

9A85E60E-39C5-4FF6-B2A4-F08A81AF5D43.jpeg

B31C720A-F9BF-4343-AE34-03FE8E28A9CB.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

One of the farms I do has let a couple of lads on with lamp and centre fire ,I was pissed off at first but soon realised they don’t have a clue .Its mates of the farmers son so nothing I could do .Anyway the chap who leases the ground for his chicken sheds asked me if I’d have a look round as chicken are being hammered first light .

Got there yesterday evening just after dusk and while I was setting up the nv ,a fox called nearby answered immediately by another .

Scanned with the xq38 and sure enough 3 foxes all walking around each other ,sussing one another out .

The wind couldn’t of been better and after negotiating the deep ruts frontman a tractor I got to within about 120 and set up on sticks with the pard giving the perfect image with the help of the dragon fly ir .

Wallop ,1 down .The other two ran a short distance  together and stopped .One sat up and joined the first .Number 3 ran and I thought he was going off grid but he stopped by the hedge and number 3 grassed .Paced the 3rd at 182 ,not bragging but the pard for you ,makes it all very easy .

Dragged all 3 to the track and looked around again .Another fox coming through the far hedge so walked out to meet it .This one knew I was there but stupidly thought it was safe in the darkness allowing me to get within 100 yds .Number 4 ,this one a vixen .

Dragged her to the truck and scanned the other side .Sure enough there’s Charlie walking straight at me about 60 yds .Getting rifle on sticks on gravel I must have made a noise as a scan showed him running off but once set up a squeak stopped him and number 5 joined the fallen .

Quick surprise of coffee and another scan that revealed two more foxes actually inside the electric fencing and killing a chicken that got left out .

Cant be having that so off I trek the 309 yards or so to narrow the gap .One of the foxes stayed put while I watched the other panic and jump the netting to fly thorough the hedge full throttle .

His mate however must of been in the until as a cub and paid for that dearly .

Number 6 .Bloody lampers lol .Decided on a wait here to see if the panicker would return to its meal .Over the hedge ,what was probably a vixen shouted and was answered by another very close to it .There then followed what must have been a fight with all sorts of noises only a fox can make and getting louder and louder until it spilled into the field I was in .Bloody hell ,3 more foxes .Tried to line up on one of them but they were in such a state of fury they just span around each other screaming ,I’d seen it before but great to see again .

No shot here and they were gone back where they came from still fighting .Proper late in year for all this rutting but who am I to judge .

Had a squeak and was surprised to see a fox trot down the hedge towards me ,surprised as I’d tried it on several occasions only to spook everything I’d seen .This little vixen was committed though and at about 70 , I stopped her with a whistle and number 7 rolled over .

Quality night and a few carcasses to remind the farmer who the real controller is lol .

9A85E60E-39C5-4FF6-B2A4-F08A81AF5D43.jpeg

B31C720A-F9BF-4343-AE34-03FE8E28A9CB.jpeg

Blooming Eck lad. You done well there. That lot would of been ruining the country there!

• Like 3

Great write up mate, I would love to of been there, to of watched this unfold, thats what you call a really good night!

What did you think about Tuesday night then?

I got the Hawke Sidewinder scope, I pick it up later today, will show you next time we're out.

Hows the cold, shifted it yet?

3 hours ago, ianm said:

Good nights shooting, but how are there so many on the ground. It must not have been shot on for a good while.

Hi mate .Its a chicken farm and they are known for foxes .I went same place two weeks ago and bagged two .
I could shoot one every night of the year I reckon .

Control is ongoing all year round .Heres a pic of from early in the year mopping up cubs ,same place  .Another good session .

5E260E2A-A016-49B0-984B-11054ABD95C2.jpeg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Bassett243 said:

Great write up mate, I would love to of been there, to of watched this unfold, thats what you call a really good night!

What did you think about Tuesday night then?

I got the Hawke Sidewinder scope, I pick it up later today, will show you next time we're out.

Hows the cold, shifted it yet?

Alright mate ,didn’t know you were on here too .

Some great ground you have up by those hangings and if we weren’t talking so much would of had at least one fox ?

Get the hawk sighted in and we will get out ,colds turned to sinus trouble so not good tbh .Painful .