Perfect land?

I don't know about over there but most of the feral game hunted here lives in the shitiest,thick or rough country around.You can sometimes find a nice grassy open field for rabbits but I've found even they are choosing rougher areas.Too much hunting pressure and low rabbit numbers don't help.you have to look for dogs more capable for the spots,which might mean a slower tougher type.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s no perfect land only a perfect place an that’s layed on the sofa because you can ensure no dog got damaged asleep on the sofa ?? It’s one of them things if you work em they will pick up injuri

Dont know if perfect land exists. We just head for darkness and hope for the best.  He who dares....

Posted Images

Maybe missing a trick, instead of coat and feet maybe look at line breeding some lucky lurchers.

Wanted proven lucky stud.

Must instinctively avoid holes and machinery.

I think Poxon hit the nail on the head though, you have to accept there will always be risk with working dogs no matter how much you mitigate it.

16 hours ago, keepitcovert said:

Yorkshire has some perfect land, what you need is the perfect dog to suit all terrains, woodland ,moorland, flat coursing land? flint hills, ect . Problem is does such a dog exist.

Yes saluki or saluki cross

Anywhere that doesn’t have barb wire, I hate that stuff. 95% of bad injuries my dogs have had have been on wire, normally some shitty old fence that is half falling down that the landowner can’t be bothered to remove even though it’s doing nothing! Dog going 25/30 mph hits wire it’s unpleasant, last bad one I had vet thought the dog had been hit by a car! 

• Like 2

Lot of flint round near me and I'm not convinced, I've only seen videos of salukis running some hard terrain so I can't really comment on their feet, I only know that flint is razor sharp and has cost me money in staples and personally I wouldn't run it again knowing what I believe to be very poor concequences.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, NE_Monkey said:

Lot of flint round near me and I'm not convinced, I've only seen videos of salukis running some hard terrain so I can't really comment on their feet, I only know that flint is razor sharp and has cost me money in staples and personally I wouldn't run it again knowing what I believe to be very poor concequences.

Seen them run fields that was covered in it, not saying they never get cut up just not often as the r bred to run on any ground.

33 minutes ago, mush said:

Seen them run fields that was covered in it, not saying they never get cut up just not often as the r bred to run on any ground.

Definitely something I'd consider for a future cross. feet, stamina and feet is worth considering.

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

Anywhere that doesn’t have barb wire, I hate that stuff. 95% of bad injuries my dogs have had have been on wire, normally some shitty old fence that is half falling down that the landowner can’t be bothered to remove even though it’s doing nothing! Dog going 25/30 mph hits wire it’s unpleasant, last bad one I had vet thought the dog had been hit by a car! 

My bull x was hanging upside down 1 night.back leg trapped in 2 strands of barb wire proper stuck. 

That was hard work trying to get him free from it..

You are right it's horrible stuff.

4 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

No we don’t it’s all shite. Either to hard to run or to wet no in between. Would avoid Devon with a wide birth if you looking for perfect land ??

That's so feckin true loads of land but half of it shite what looks a flat field never is down here and not much about bunny wise anyway 

3 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

That's so feckin true loads of land but half of it shite what looks a flat field never is down here and not much about bunny wise anyway 

Depends what area your in I got a few good pockets in my area. But you got to run about fair not to loose them in dips in the fields ??

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Depends what area your in I got a few good pockets in my area. But you got to run about fair not to loose them in dips in the fields ??

That's where my dog normally catches just out the lamp where the land drops off. I know places on the moor where bunnys are plenty but not that you can catch um sat right along the edge just outside there holes. Other places that had plenty start of the season seem to have zero on the ground now 

4 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

That's where my dog normally catches just out the lamp where the land drops off. I know places on the moor where bunnys are plenty but not that you can catch um sat right along the edge just outside there holes. Other places that had plenty start of the season seem to have zero on the ground now 

I haven’t got anywhere on the moors. But a few on the edge still holding and a good number. Nice place by the sea holds a good number but can only go there daytime for a dog walk ?

• Like 1