Anybody know what this is?

No offence mate but I don't understand how lads can not notice wounds on their dogs, i prob go to the extreme but I wash my dogs off after every outing and check them over for cuts knocks and scrapes so if the dog has got something that needs attention then it's delt with straight away not left to get infected, no having a go just saying, could be a thorn in there or some thing give it a squeeze salt water maybe a jab of antibiotics if u got any 

• Like 3

As above could be a thorn in there that’s caused it to go infected give it a squeeze clean with hibiscrub dry it off an use veterinary wound power to dry it out fully an give a course of antibiotics should soon clear up. This wet cold weather ain’t helped much with dogs that are out regular any small nicks cuts soon get infected 

Could be a blackthorn... Give it a squeeze and a good clean with hibiscrub or some greens battle oil... If it don't start healing in 24hrs,then give some amoxiclav or penicillin ?

Check it's bedding is dry and there's no slugs/snails in kennel.... Looks abit like hookworm with the wound being perfect circle?

• Like 1

Had similar befor was a thorn and dog kept liking it and caused a perfect circle due to liking it raw , to be fair that can happen over night but with the puss formed and gone hard probably been in there couple days , soak it best you can try and remove the puss squeeze it see if you can get thorn out or waterbed it is that’s inside it , it could also just been a cut that the dog has constantly kept liking and made it infected , a dog constantly liking a wound can do more harm than good , give it a clean a squeeze get some wound powder on it to help dry it out try not let dog lick at it 

• Like 1

Wear those thin gloves when cleaning it in case it is ringworm because if it is you can get it yourself. If the cattle have it where you've been exercising the dog, they scratch themselves on gates and things and it's easily passed on.

Lyme disease in dogs is another that makes circles and is caused by tics and has a bite at the centre. Maybe a good idea to see a good dog vet, just to be on the safe side?

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2

Lance it and get the puss out. Clean up like as said before and keep a close eye on it. Might be an idea to put a lampshade on the dog for a few days too.

edited to add;

If it hasn't started to look like its clearing up after 24hours... get it to a vet. 

Edited by mushroom
26 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My old nanna made me one years ago to draw out blackthorns ....Old skool like the juniors neck the poultice?

Does work you can buy the stuff at horse shop soak it in hot water slap it on vet wrap it on 

Dont leave it on 2 long tho 

Edited by Black neck
Spelling
6 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Does work you can buy the stuff at horse shop soak it in hot water slap it on vet wrap it on 

Dont leave it on 2 long tho 

Make one soap and sugar equal amount of each little bit water and hay presto 

• Like 1