Power cuts. And being a preper

Usually  most of the bad weather passes this area by. We did get clobbered by the hurricane in 87 but its pretty mild and calm down here. We don't  get the snow and crap that others get. It's like this storm.  The weather been relatively calm down here  but at about 2 oclock the power went out.  What !  nowadays This is usually caused by water getting into the u derground cables.  Back in the days of the hurricane the power lines were 6 copper ? which blew about like skipping ropes, arked  and stuck together but in recent years that was all replaced by insulated cables twisted into one so unless a tree falls and takes the cables down we don't get power cuts. Also when there were the individual cables , swans used to fly into them and we were regularly plunged into darkness.  We used to sit and wait in the dark a while for the power to come back on before hunting for candles ect. Later times a generator. Nowadays our lives are more reliant on phone / data communications.  Now it's led lighting and litheom batteries.  Now I wonder how many people are not online tonight because of power outages ? I'm not a preper but I am well equipped to ride out most thiñgs.  I've got to get a solar panel and a wind turbine to charge things like mobiles and back up batteries used in conjunction with an inverter to produce 240v. Still they'll hardly if ever be used.

Still I've just been shown a clip of Hastings lifeboat operating it massive seas. What barmy, stupid and selfish people get anywhere near the sea and end up endangering the brave, selfless lifeboat crews in conditions like these ?

27 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Hastings lifeboat is out looking for a surfer.......

were very similiar to yourself but rarely get cut off now, still have the genny just in case though

It's amazing the amount of stupid people that mess about with the sea in this weather, others risking their lives for his/her stupidity going out in a server storm

Atb j 

30 minutes ago, Rabid said:

were very similiar to yourself but rarely get cut off now, still have the genny just in case though

That surfer what an idiot, can't have any seacraft, putting peoples lives at risk cos he's a prick, should make him pay for the rescue or bang him up for a couple of weeks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rabid said:

That lifeboat went right over on it's side.!!  I used to work with a lunatic wind surfer.   at one time he was flying right over the top of a pier somewhere. Nutter.

Generators.... I've got 3 that would run, but when do I ever use them ?  I did say to Mrs, that if power wasn't back on in the morning that I'd have to dig the small petrol one out of the back of the shed. That would take both of us at least an hour.  I'm pretty sure that it would work because I drained all the fuel out and put a shot of aspen In and gave it a short run. It's like I've  got loads of stuff but when you want to use it you can't remember where it is or you aint got a weèk to get it out for ten minutes.  One time some years ago we had a power cut that lasted more than an hour so I went out in the garage / workshop and wheeled the diesel one outside.  Got the power lead, cut the outside link rigged it up started it up and immediately the street lights came on, ????. Stand down and put it all away. It's like you can't  find something that you nèed urgently so you have to go and buy one and about a week later you find the one that you were loòking for in the first place.