Pups growth

If in a litter of pups all the pups are different in sizes do most pups stay in relation to size when they finish growing, i.e. Biggest stays biggest, smallest stays smallest, I don't mean runts and giants in litters just all slightly different 

5 minutes ago, cantona said:

If in a litter of pups all the pups are different in sizes do most pups stay in relation to size when they finish growing, i.e. Biggest stays biggest, smallest stays smallest, I don't mean runts and giants in litters just all slightly different 

No,i used to go by longest back,skin stretch,size of paws etc.The amount of times the scrawny fecker grew the biggest.

• Like 1

My old bull x was the runt and he made the biggest by a couple of inches. Like Morton says back size paws knuckles are some indication to size but not always. My pal has a bull x paws and knuckles like a lion and he is only 23tts at 15months old 

There's a big difference between a small puppy and a true runt. True runts are wonky from the start: classic traits are bulging eyes at birth (yes, I know the eyes aren't open but you can still see how the lids bulge out), domed forehead, underdeveloped generally and lacking the instinct to suckle properly. And yes, I've seen the smallest puppy end up the biggest as an adult, and in those cases the pup was small because of where it developed in the uterus and it didn't have much room but made up for it afterwards, and was strong at birth and able to suckle and fight for its teat.

Not saying that a true runt can't be reared, but I've a theory that they are born premature: there's no science to back up my theory but isn't it possible that there was delayed implantation of that particular embryo, which means that such pups need a lot more care from birth if they are to make it?

I've reared one true runt  by assisted feeding from a syringe as it couldn't suckle, but it was never 'right' either physically or mentally. Just one example, but in the only two other cases I had when runts appeared I left nature to take its course, and in both cases they died within 24 hours.

• Like 6

I always find that if the pup lies away from the bitch in the 1st 2 days stands a strong chance he's not going to survive I've done everything to try and help them but in all honesty your just waisting your time the bitch knows best as they say and natural selection nature is king ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, skycat said:

There's a big difference between a small puppy and a true runt. True runts are wonky from the start: classic traits are bulging eyes at birth (yes, I know the eyes aren't open but you can still see how the lids bulge out), domed forehead, underdeveloped generally and lacking the instinct to suckle properly. And yes, I've seen the smallest puppy end up the biggest as an adult, and in those cases the pup was small because of where it developed in the uterus and it didn't have much room but made up for it afterwards, and was strong at birth and able to suckle and fight for its teat.

Not saying that a true runt can't be reared, but I've a theory that they are born premature: there's no science to back up my theory but isn't it possible that there was delayed implantation of that particular embryo, which means that such pups need a lot more care from birth if they are to make it?

I've reared one true runt  by assisted feeding from a syringe as it couldn't suckle, but it was never 'right' either physically or mentally. Just one example, but in the only two other cases I had when runts appeared I left nature to take its course, and in both cases they died within 24 hours.

Domed head, bulging eyes and tiny... sounds like a chihuahua ?

Well being and nutrition play a big part in a pups growth once there away from the mother,hence why there can be so much difference in size compared to the other litter mates once fully grown . What other different breeds are in the pups makeup also has an influence on size and type,with some pups throwing different to the others in the litter .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3

Knew a bloke who bought a Whippet, Deerhound x Greyhound. All the rest of the litter made at least 25", but his turned out 18", and he reared it well and knew what he was doing. Beware getting anything directly related to something much smaller than you want.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...