Bedlington greyhound

1 hour ago, tank34 said:

If was no ban Wheaton or bull would add to my bitch , seen very good beddy greyhound deerhound greyhound on lamp before ban lad only ran fox an deer , a type you don't see about as much , was some beddy greyhound collie greyhound pups on here bit back any one know how this litter turned out think ritchy lads name was , would you use a beddy with drop of fell in for the beddy greyhound type that worked to ground yes not be true beddy greyhound but I could live with drop of fell if pups did what beddy greyhound should do an been honest with pups you pass on 

Mate if there was no ban an bedlington x studs were none existent to put back in id probably be the same bull or Wheaton but probably bull/greyhound x saluki greyhound in to what I already have as I’ve a mate I lamp with who has this cross it’s a very honest dog. My cousin used to run a bedlington greyhound with a drop of deerhound in it it was a wicked single handed foxer he had a few good dogs in his time before retirement to just small busher types he said the dog he misses the most was this dog it was a proper character but easy going but could switch to a foxes worst night just on sight of fox. I remember Richie’s litter f1beddy x to f1 collie x if memories serve me right he’s a top lad Richie is he was/is on the old bedlington group his litter was born the same time with in a few days as when I done my litter an very similar bred there be about 2 an half 3 now. Yes I would most definitely use a bedlington with a drop of fell if it was doing the job to produce bedlington greyhound hybrids if I had one I’d be honest an state that the bedlington was fell blooded to any potential owners 

• Like 1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  pic of the 1/2 cross I had early 90s, he stood at 24” and could move . What id give to have him again . ?    

not being funny, but those and many other questions should have been  asked and answered before the mating was considered, let alone carried out.

My we bitch is just going into labour i hope and have 6 cracking homes working homes to go to.one for myself and if she has enough they will be given away to good quality homes that are waiting to hea

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, poxon said:

Produced some good dogs tong for a bit of everything from good all round working dogs to obedience dogs to assistances dogs even had one I bred win the cross breeding class at Croft’s How ironic is that ????Mine I kept (the white bitch  hasn’t really made what I’d hoped but I can’t slag her off to much as she’ll work to ferrets retrieve shot hare track deer an work the lamp mowing down rabbits she’s not keen at retrieving shot fox is her down fall although she surprised me a couple of weeks ago she’s starting to build a bit of back bone. Mate I’m no longer on fb or any groups the last fb group I was on was the beddy group I was admin for a bit but that didn’t last ?? this forum is the only thing I’m on i get on here a bit but more so with like you said with all the stuff going on 

Times have changed alot iv gone from a freezeing cold kid ferreting and beating in the sixties great times lamping late 70s before you didnt av to dodge bullets bad winters in the 80s when fox pelts fetched up to £20 apiece  good money when thatcher had us on our knees the waterloo cup was still a great end of season day out and up to the last few years there was still loAds of. Coney about to give us a bit of sport along with a bit of picking up on the shoot ? Lets all just hope we still got something to look forward to this winter ? Who the feck any of would know something like this shite in our life times ej ?

On 23/04/2020 at 09:50, poxon said:

No I don’t Keep an work terriers mate my little arms are not cut out for that digging ?but we have had terriers for digging/bolting fox on our old team over the years my opinions based on with what beddys we’ve had or seen we only had one beddy Out the beddys we’ve had that was Half decent or any good an that was a fell blooded outcross beddy the others were straights an they looked busy but were shit in my honest opinion if I wanted a dog for digging/bolting I’d go for a pat/russle type or straight the same my mate has worked for years it’s the same opinion on if I wanted a busher I’d avoid a beddy I’d go for a spaniel or spaniel x terrier type. That’s just it mate about the secret society mate there isn’t one but beddy followers want you to believe there’s one with the dribble they talk  but when someone like me gives a none blinkered honest opinion what hes seen or now sees it’s never taken lightly an taken as a attack on the bedlington or there self as personal the bedlington world is a funny place 

"secret Beddy society",there are some that will have you believe that its nearly Masonic to get into the right clique and "working Bedlingtons,its not.To many are experts on a terrier they know feck all about,they base their opinions on what they read on a computer screen and have a "need" to jump on any bandwagon that will give their limited knowledge a few seconds of fame,in print.You quote with some authority,on your part that a terrier much smaller than a fox,on average,is incapable of getting to ground because of its height.Im certainly relieved to know that my terriers have an habit of working,often below,far better than your knowledge would allow them to do so.When it comes to Bedlingtons,the right uns,ill base what i know on honesty,read through my posts on here and you may see that i rate the majority of Bedlingtons like shit on the sole of a misplaced footing.The proper type of terrier,working,is available to anybody willing to take their time in sourcing such,the Beddy does not hold a monopoly on poor breeding,yet it takes more flack than any other because of fame hungry tinternet cowboys wanting to prove their worth to a worthless audience.Any honest attack,honesty is often based on a fundamental knowledge of what we are actually talking about and not chinese whispers,is taken on board by me and appreciated,discussed,argued over and often fully appreciated.When i raise one of my many forays into the beddy topics raised on here i seek authentic folk that know one end of a working terrier from the other,these are the folk i attempt in my feeble manner to contemplate a Bedlington again as a viable kennel occupant.Going back to the Masonic Bedlington society,the folk who sell the expensive litters,always dross,are responsible for setting up their clique Beddy forums and protecting their income stream,on the whole as a few decent folk are to be found amidst their stagnant ranks.

• Haha 2
On 23/04/2020 at 18:29, Loton Moocher said:

If jg means john glover im pmsl no wonder your anti beddy i dont blame you lol glover knows as much about digging and beddys as boris knows about honesty  ? Glover ffs lol

The idiot Glover,"the Bedlington author and expert" as done more damage to the Beddy reputation than the KC,well almost.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, two crows said:

there are a lot of reasons being mentioned why you cant find a good working  beddy, the real reason is probably because there are terriers out there far better for terrier work than the beddy ever was, and it got dropped simple, like a l lot of other regional terriers collies etc, imho.

The original Bedlington was sourced in the hotbed of working terriers,the terriers that came out of those dales and fells where second to none as grafters,Fell terriers,Lakeys have never been bettered and the Bedlington had to compete,Fells and Lakeys where easier to source and thats a fact,the bedlington was harder to come by and was never ever bred in the same numbers as its illustrious cousins.The thing that fecked the Beddy more than anything was the fact It became popular with the KC brigade,as it was considered to offer a better income stream.Look at Lakeys now,fecked,look at Black terriers,on the downward spiral because of their value and the twats that produce for nuggets and their bank balance.Ill certainly agree the Beddy had some stiff competition,it held its own and thats a fact.

Edited by morton
8 minutes ago, morton said:

The original Bedlington was sourced in the hotbed of working terriers,the terriers that came out of those dales and fells where second to none as grafters,Fell terriers,Lakeys have never been bettered and the Bedlington had to compete,Fells and Lakeys where easier to source and thats a fact,the bedlington was harder to come by and was never ever bred in the same numbers as its illustrious cousins.The thing that fecked the Beddy more than anything was the fact It became popular with the KC brigade,as it was considered to offer a better income stream.Look at Lakeys now,fecked,look at Black terriers,on the downward spiral because of their value and the twats that produce for nuggets and their bank balance.Ill cetainly agree the Beddy had some stiff competition,it held its own and thats a fact.

Serious question here morton, if fell terriers and lakeys have never been bettered, why do you keep banging on about the bedlington being the 'best'?

Not looking to argue, but find find a lot of your posts hypocrital.

And as sure as eggs are peanuts  we'll keep having these conversations.

I've got relatives that work and breed bedlingtons, and NONE of them rate them better as an earth dog, than a patterdale/fell/lakeland

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Serious question here morton, if fell terriers and lakeys have never been bettered, why do you keep banging on about the bedlington being the 'best'?

Not looking to argue, but find find a lot of your posts hypocrital.

And as sure as eggs are peanuts  we'll keep having these conversations.

I've got relatives that work and breed bedlingtons, and NONE of them rate them better as an earth dog, than a patterdale/fell/lakeland

For me the finest terrier bred to graft below was the Fell/Lakey and its a terrier ive an awful lot of affection for,ive never said the bedlington was the best ive stated it was the best that suited my hunting lifestyle.I want a terrier to work on top,bushing and ratching about,pushing fox to ground and agitating the cover for the lurchers attentive gaze,the Fell/Lakey is not as versatile as the Bedlington as far as im concerned and ive worked them both the same over decades.The best digging terrier ive ever owned was a Lakey dog,would i own him again?,not now,20 years ago certainly.The bedlington offers me more than any other terrier ever has done,thats why i rate them the best for me.Others have a different hunting lifestyle and i fully understand why they would wish for a terrier bred to suit themselves.I will state though that a decent Beddy,as an earth dog,can certainly account for itself as well as any other terrier.

• Like 1
On 23/04/2020 at 20:43, two crows said:

there are a lot of reasons being mentioned why you cant find a good working  beddy, the real reason is probably because there are terriers out there far better for terrier work than the beddy ever was, and it got dropped simple, like a l lot of other regional terriers collies etc, imho.

At last a bit of sense being spoken. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, morton said:

"secret Beddy society",there are some that will have you believe that its nearly Masonic to get into the right clique and "working Bedlingtons,its not.To many are experts on a terrier they know feck all about,they base their opinions on what they read on a computer screen and have a "need" to jump on any bandwagon that will give their limited knowledge a few seconds of fame,in print.You quote with some authority,on your part that a terrier much smaller than a fox,on average,is incapable of getting to ground because of its height.Im certainly relieved to know that my terriers have an habit of working,often below,far better than your knowledge would allow them to do so.When it comes to Bedlingtons,the right uns,ill base what i know on honesty,read through my posts on here and you may see that i rate the majority of Bedlingtons like shit on the sole of a misplaced footing.The proper type of terrier,working,is available to anybody willing to take their time in sourcing such,the Beddy does not hold a monopoly on poor breeding,yet it takes more flack than any other because of fame hungry tinternet cowboys wanting to prove their worth to a worthless audience.Any honest attack,honesty is often based on a fundamental knowledge of what we are actually talking about and not chinese whispers,is taken on board by me and appreciated,discussed,argued over and often fully appreciated.When i raise one of my many forays into the beddy topics raised on here i seek authentic folk that know one end of a working terrier from the other,these are the folk i attempt in my feeble manner to contemplate a Bedlington again as a viable kennel occupant.Going back to the Masonic Bedlington society,the folk who sell the expensive litters,always dross,are responsible for setting up their clique Beddy forums and protecting their income stream,on the whole as a few decent folk are to be found amidst their stagnant ranks.

Morton have a sit down me old mate a cuppa t an a couple of biscuits your end up giving ones self a heart attack! 
your trying to school people what they already know I’ve give my opinion on my thoughts of bedlingtons based on my bit of experience for the nowt that it’s worth you’ve pretty much given back the same opinion just worded differently with a few fancy words chucked in to mine but I think many have noticed if a opinion don’t Match your own you get upset I’ve seen it many a times on here from ya fella I think the real person here looking for internet fame is your self fella by trying to school any one with a opinion that don’t Match your own??People make there own minds up there not stupid or clueless they just don’t kid there selfs just like I made mine up on bedlingtons there turd with a exception of a few that are decent like I’ve said I don’t kid my self bedlingtons speak for there selfs with what’s on the ground no amount of Internet rubbish will speak for them  Every ones entitled to a opinion an that’s mine there is cream out there it’s hard to find 

I think I know who you are Morton that’s what makes this even more laughable bloody excellent old chum ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, morton said:

The original Bedlington was sourced in the hotbed of working terriers,the terriers that came out of those dales and fells where second to none as grafters,Fell terriers,Lakeys have never been bettered and the Bedlington had to compete,Fells and Lakeys where easier to source and thats a fact,the bedlington was harder to come by and was never ever bred in the same numbers as its illustrious cousins.The thing that fecked the Beddy more than anything was the fact It became popular with the KC brigade,as it was considered to offer a better income stream.Look at Lakeys now,fecked,look at Black terriers,on the downward spiral because of their value and the twats that produce for nuggets and their bank balance.Ill certainly agree the Beddy had some stiff competition,it held its own and thats a fact.

a fact is if something is rely good enough at the job it will be kept going, whether  its a dog a cow pig horse or chicken, working dogs get dropped by seriouse dog workers when something better at the job comes along,  if you want to do the job properly  that is.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 8