Any chainsaw men on here

16 minutes ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

To say I’m a mechanic can I f**k get my Stihl saw to tick over , it’s a 017 12inch I’ve rebuilt carb checked compression messed about with jetting screw and idle but will run just not tick over anyone have a clue what it is Im tearing my hair out 

Might sound stupid but has it got clean fresh fuel in it as 2 stroke goes a bit shot if left in the tank over winter, also worth changing the plug every now and again, and if it’s not that check out the bit that makes the spark as a bit of rust on there can cause problems 

• Like 2

Are you Mixing your 2 stroke to the right mix ? Sounds daft but I had a chain saw that would run at 50:1 but not at 40:1 which everything else here ran on 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

To say I’m a mechanic can I f**k get my Stihl saw to tick over , it’s a 017 12inch I’ve rebuilt carb checked compression messed about with jetting screw and idle but will run just not tick over anyone have a clue what it is Im tearing my hair out 

Some info here gaz.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=88028.0

For several years the fuel companies have been changing the fuel contents.  More and more ethanol has been used. The mix oil has needed to be changed to compliment this.  2T oil is just sold and there are different specs. So many places sell B spec oil and this is the red oils. Even Stihl. It is very important to use the green stihl or blue Husqvarna oil.  These are D spec which are low ash.  You appear to have considered everything else apart from slightly worm crank seals. Which can cause erratic slow speed idle.  The most likely cause is a blocked idle jet and although you have rebuilt it this don't seem to change problems like this.  The cheapest route to bypass this is to go and buy a new cheap Chinese carb from eBay.  Everything comes out the Chinese factories even the new stihl stuff. The golden rule is to use fresh fuel, low ash D spec oil, only make enough fuel that you are going to use and if the machine is going to be bot used for mlre than a few days is to tip out the tank, start it up and run it dry.  If the crap ain't in there it can't block the fine carb jets.

Edited by Meece
1 hour ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Well lads don’t know how but I’ve fixed it just stripped carb again and seems to have sorted it lol probably put something in wrong 

Naah.   the parts in there that anyone can remove can only go back in one way round You cant reassemble the parts Incorrectly. You may have moved a bit of crap in the idle system.  The jets are so small that you wouldn't notice. Still the saw is running so your up and running.

• Like 1