The mighty MK1 HW 80 .22

I`ve been looking out for a while now and found a MK1 HW80 in pristine, untouched condition, I had to have her lads :boogy::yes:.

She's on her way to my RFD from another RFD, so a few photos will be next.

She's in .22 flavour , 1983 and shooting around the 11.2 ft/lbs mark, so perfect.

No marks, no scuffs, all original, inc` open field sights.

Just love the classic hunting.

Anyone able to put up a photo of one of these rifles please ?

atb  Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got one last year an old one used but in good conition , when I got it there was a full length square section spring in it say no more . I have since made a tight spring guide out of brass for an old colapsed hw 35 round wire spring . what I like about the hw hw80 is I have made a few power washers to get the guns power just right , it is so eazy job to do there is no preload so to take the gun apart and add or remove a wash is very easy , also I have another old hw35 spring and with not washers at all it still takes the gun over 12 ft lbs just . So god know what new spring you should put in a hw80

• Like 1

Nice choice of gun mark. I have wondered before if you ever owned one, as you have classic springers. Great guns I have tried to find some pics of my old one but I have lost them and my pic of it in the classic guns bit has gone. I can't wait to see a pic of it and hear what you think of it. Mine was an 83 model too. 

• Like 2

Yes mate. Just a big fat f’kin yes. You find it online? Jesus, chompin at the bit now to see it. It’s older than me ?
I’ll see what’s on the web mate. Should be loads... I say that but I bet there’s no decent ones.

In fact Simons got one, his is on a ticket though. Just shows how proper they are, built for throwing lead around 20 FPE... so sub 12, it’ll be like a just chillin on every shot. 

• Like 2

Great to read you have found a mint original Mk.1 HW80 Mark. These are brilliant in .22 flavour. So what the. 177 .20 and .25 versions are like I have no idea but will probably be just as outstanding.

Stock forend is a bit boxy with this version but it's a comfortable platform for building accuracy. If there is one downside to this rifle, they can be a bit fussy how correctly well you hold them, so your techniques for shooting a spring rifle have to well polished up to get the best out of them. But you have that level of refined technique already. 

For my money it is always Rifle No.1 albeit, mine is a 22 ft/lbs  on-ticket supergun. 

Never yet found a modern break barrel spring air rifle to match a well sorted and run-in HW80. 

But your Feinwerkbau Sport pair will be on a par with it. I had the .22 version of that superb rifle which led to buying the HW80. It is never going to be offered for sale. It is one in a million rifle. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it but, I think you are going to absolutely love its field performance.

All the best mate.

Simon. 

• Like 1