Seaweed harvesting.

51 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Feck putting it on the field, I eat about 10 bags of dulse a week, think I’m addicted to it

We pick that too. It's bloody lovely. Best thing for you and  Carraigínn jelly.

Atb j.

1 minute ago, Lenmcharristar said:

What’s that jelly?

It's another type of seaweed, don't know the English for it. You boil it in milk with a bit of sugar, and strain it. Wait till it sets. It's great if you suffer from asthma of chest infection. 

Atb j 

1 hour ago, jetro said:

Thank you, just remembered it myself LOL 

Atb j 

Very interesting Jetro thanks for posting.

Do the different seaweed have different uses e.g. certain ones for eating, different ones for supplements and for fertiliser?

What's the dried out seaweed that you can add to dog feed as a supplement and what's it good for? 

Thanks

Any seaweed can be used for fertilizer, but only a certain type for supplements. 

Seaweed supplements is full of iron, zinc cobalt and a whole lot of other minerals. 

It's a great supplement to any animal foid source, pet or live stock.

Atb j 

since i was a little boy my dad would take us to the barras and go to the sea food shop and we would sit in and get some cooked mussels and a mug of mussel brae, on leaving he would buy some bags of mussels and some bags of welks and some bags of dulse thats something i still do when  in glasgow, although its been a while and i heard they have shut the market down but the surrounding shops are still open including the seafood shop.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, paul sr said:

Back in the  mid  eighties they were getting about 50 pound a ton now I think they are getting about E65 a ton  .  Not many men would do this kind off work today. A good honest way to earn  a living .

Still plenty doing it around here.

Atb j