Chosen my Gun but what Caliber ! ?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some words of wisdom please. 

I Have been torn between guns and i have decided i am going to go down the route of an FX Wildcat over the Cricket, mainly down to the placement of the cocking action, and i prefer the look of the FX. 

I am now having a really hard time deciding if i should go with .22 or .25. I'm only just getting back into the sport after many years out and no longer have any permissions or my FAC ticket (that was an open, what a fool i was not to renew). SO, sub 12 it is for now, i know the wildcats can be easily made to FAC so im torn between sub 12 Cal. 

.22 i guess is going to be the better choice for Sub 12 and .25 being favored for FAC - right? ill be mainly using them for rabbiting (if i can find myself some permissions) and a bit of target work at the local club (suppose i have to jump this hoop for my FAC) so with that in mind and the chances of FAC coming this side of Autumn being bleak what should i do for the now.

Buy .25 sub 12 with the plan on my RFD FACing it up and adding to my .25 slot. 
Buy .22 Sub 12 - i suppose i could always go FAC with .22 to but sacrifice the hitting power and extra range of the .25 
Buy .22 Sub 12 and IF and WHEN i get FAC look to buy a used .25? 

Thanks all. 

PS, obviously i am open to other opinions and views.

I’ve just put a variation in for fac air. I eventually decided on .22 because I think it will be more versatile for me. If I didn’t have any rimfires however, I’d more likely have gone for .25. I suppose it depends on what you are most likely to be using it for, and the land you’re shooting on. At 12ft lbs though, .22 has got to be more useful overall than .25 I’d reckon?

see Derv, this is my exact issue at the moment, for someone that might aswell be new to the sport given the access i have currently, i think .22 sub 12 is my best bet, least i can then plink in the back garden. 

I just want to look at the bigger picture and plan for the future if that makes sense.

I do have a MK1 Rapid 7 (albeit in need of a bit of TLC and some air) in .22.

Go .22  probably the most versatile cal for you  , you can shoot pellets and slugs as well . Things have moved on in FAC 

I probably up set a few , but here goes rapids are old hat now days same with bsa r10’s and other makes in FAC most have limited power and not adjustable like FX and even some daystate, 

• Like 1

Mitch has hit the nail on the head.  Recent and ongoing developments have changed the capabilities of fac air rifles  in particular .22, .25 and .30 so moving into fac air is now better than it has ever been and the only company who is growing with outside developments is FX. To fully embrace these developments, it is a huge advantage to have as much fine tuning as possible which then drops in the lap of the Impact and Crown, both of which have these atributes but all at a price.  

I have not yet tried slugs in my Impact as I am on .25 and so not available as yet but to be honest, the set up I have has been superb with pellets so with slugs I think it will be bloody amazing and no doubt I will try them but I am not in a rush.

Phil

19 hours ago, Elchapo said:

22 if you want to take red stag out to 500yards 

500 yrds ,,,,,,,pussy

more like 1000 yrds

but you will have to practice ,,,practice and practice some more

and you will have to be pellet on pellet mind :rofl:

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

12 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

500 yrds ,,,,,,,pussy

more like 1000 yrds

but you will have to practice ,,,practice and practice some more

and you will have to be pellet on pellet mind :rofl:

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I go for an eye shot at 500 yards as I’m a little bit shake my now but took many red stack with my 22 bsa at 1000 yard pupil shot free hand in 17 mph cross wind 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, philpot said:

Mitch has hit the nail on the head.  Recent and ongoing developments have changed the capabilities of fac air rifles  in particular .22, .25 and .30 so moving into fac air is now better than it has ever been and the only company who is growing with outside developments is FX. To fully embrace these developments, it is a huge advantage to have as much fine tuning as possible which then drops in the lap of the Impact and Crown, both of which have these atributes but all at a price.  

I have not yet tried slugs in my Impact as I am on .25 and so not available as yet but to be honest, the set up I have has been superb with pellets so with slugs I think it will be bloody amazing and no doubt I will try them but I am not in a rush.

Phil

Yerr, I wouldn’t part with my old rapid, but I’ve got to admit that since I bought the hw100ks the rapid has rarely been out. I even use my little brocock contour more often than the rapid. I’m still waiting for my variation coming back so I’m planning to sample some of this fx crown lark, see what all the fuss is about. Better be good?.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, I wouldn’t part with my old rapid, but I’ve got to admit that since I bought the hw100ks the rapid has rarely been out. I even use my little brocock contour more often than the rapid. I’m still waiting for my variation coming back so I’m planning to sample some of this fx crown lark, see what all the fuss is about. Better be good?.

Crowns are shit mate daystates are far better :laugh:

• Haha 3