A good day and a half!

Well I was asked to visit a new permission a few days ago. They had to leave for work at 7am, so went and saw them in the dark. He was a little cautious of letting a stranger on his land, so he took my phone number and pictured the back of my van. Well luckily there were plenty of rabbits there that’s for certain. He told me he was losing over 25% of the grass which his cattle grazes on. Well he’s cut the hedges while the cattle were in the barns, but Now it has taken me a lot of time picking all all the bits of twigs and thorns out of the Longnets.
Well the first day, I walked 50 yards from the van and there was 150 yards of steep bank going into the same in hedgerows. Well that was all 200 yards of Longnets out, and soon the the first half o the bank was netted up. Wax jacket over the barbed wire fence, so I could get to the top of the barn quickly and easily without tearing a nut off! The first section I had 8 rabbits, so I was happy with that. Picking all the crap out of the nets was hard work though! Well I continued along, finished the bank and moved on to the hedges getting a few here and there. Well I ended up with 24, so a very good day for this area. The owner asked me to send him a pic if I get any, and he seemed chuffed. I got a text back saying come when you like. So we were both happy. 
This morning I was meeting the old man and going off in the boat to do some netting for sprats. It was a very small weather window, and as the seas haven’t been very settled, with a lot of wind, it was going to be boom or bust. Well we busted! We had about 85 sprats! Just enough for tea. A little different to the 97 stone last week! Well it was only half 9, so I thought I could still make it ferreting! A quick call and I was given the all clear to go. Flask made up, just 3 ferrets as it was a quick trip, 100 yards of Longnets  and every thing slung in the motor. 25 mile later, I rolled up through the gates. It was 10.40. Ferrets collared up and I walked along a hedge until I see a good sized Warren. Longnets out and soon had half a dozen in the bag. Well I continued along the same hedgerow getting a few here and there, until it was done. A walked to another part of the field, there was a bank with plenty of holes, hedges and barbed wire. In went the ferrets and the rabbits were soon coming out. 3rd rabbit from putting the ferrets away and it was my first black one. I did ummm and ahhhh about letting it go, but the landowner wanted rid of them all, and there were a few people about. I doubt he would have been chuffed on only my second trip to hear about that, so on the game carrier it went. The section of bank was clear, all three ferrets were on the surface, so I walked as close as I could get to each one of them, gave them a squeak and they toddled towards me before being put back in the box. Ever since they were 8 week old kits, whenever I have fed them, or gave them some oil as a treat, I always squeak at them. It has paid off dividends getting them back. Well it was then 2.30, so a short 3.5 hour session. A quick count up and 23 in the bag, the best short session I have ever had. I soon gutted them all and put them on the game carriers before taking them back to the motor. A lot of the does had a belly full, so it’s needs thinning out sooner rather than later. A great day and a half. I can’t wait to go back. Near my motor, a farm worker had a quick yarn and said there is quite a few black rabbits there, so hopefully a few more to go.

448B5502-3B6F-4877-B35C-B7899E966E64.jpeg

061802EC-9BE3-4B8B-8053-74B39ED58C16.jpeg

• Like 8