• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A cousins grandfather 

Good ole pic I come across from a travelling man racing he’s dog 

Look like the old deerhound cross types  again not my family but another travelling family 

Posted Images

If any one knows how to load vids there's one on YouTube called roving romanies in 1950s hereford.

most of the folk on this film are my unculs and aunts and family ,this shows a true picture of gypsy life around the hop yards of hereford and wagon life .

i don't know how to put it up but I'm sure some nice fella on here will let me know .

have a nice day what ever you doing ,

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Back then nothing stayed fancy ,wagon life looks all cosy and romantic but far from it !

in bad weather the mud,dirt would get every were and cover everything ,yes the wagons might look all bright when new but they didn't stay like it .

today no one lives day to day in vardo unless you a new age traveler or on a site ,

the ones you see at fairs etc are show peaces and never lived in apart from few days a yr .

the wagon in this pic is unusual as door on the side ,

Yea it’s first one I seen with door on side there another one I like with a basic waggon ,I can imagine life was hard back then in them waggon , people think of it as a romantic free easy living life style but taking a bath back in them days in winter wouldn’t be fun I can imagine 

F5BCA90B-05A7-4CAF-976E-D5F4B3707235.jpeg

• Like 1

There was a couple that used be seen down the country lanes  outside Melton Mowbray....the old fella used to sharpen knives shears stuff like that.....I often used to see them when I was mooching  round down there trying to get a few runs on the hares....local news did a little feature on them.....this was 15 years ago

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TOMO said:

There was a couple that used be seen down the country lanes  outside Melton Mowbray....the old fella used to sharpen knives shears stuff like that.....I often used to see them when I was mooching  round down there trying to get a few runs on the hares....local news did a little feature on them.....this was 15 years ago

that's George gaskin tomo hes still about hes  just off gorse lane going back to saltby  I passed him on my way home from work today

• Like 1
15 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

They're carving wooden clothes pegs in 1958 Tomo, think this was the end of an era as far as roadside crafts were concerned as scrap metal dealing become popular

14 hours ago, Tel1 said:

that's George gaskin tomo hes still about hes  just off gorse lane going back to saltby  I passed him on my way home from work today

I no ol george gaskin well ,I remember his dad and his lad ,

my mam still hawking pegs,flowers into the 1990s 

i still make the flowers ,nice gift once all diyed and dip them in glitter make them look nice ,

henry gaskin ,he had some of the best coursing jooks I see along with ol cocker smith ,

they can tell a story or to ,

• Like 2