• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A cousins grandfather 

Good ole pic I come across from a travelling man racing he’s dog 

Look like the old deerhound cross types  again not my family but another travelling family 

Posted Images

A large impressive looking dog for the time? Very much like a lurcher a friend owner years ago, but not as long ago as the photo obviously. Lurcher to lurcher he was but mostly greyhound and deerhound composite. Thanks for sharing, love the old photographs.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Dog looked like he earned his keep, what decade would that have been Marshman ?

Here's a canny one, just out of a book, 1930's I think

IMG_20200202_173409.jpg

I’d say 1950s  mate judging by the trailer . 

that’s a good old pic mate ? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, marshman said:

I’d say 1950s  mate judging by the trailer . 

that’s a good old pic mate ? 

When i read his question i thought 1950's due to the trailer and the tent,recon by the 60's the old tent was a rare thing to see seeing as your people were starting to live more on tarmac than country lanes and commons as such..

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fireman said:

When i read his question i thought 1950's due to the trailer and the tent,recon by the 60's the old tent was a rare thing to see seeing as your people were starting to live more on tarmac than country lanes and commons as such..

I remember early 90s an old traveller woman sitting at the edge of a back road in a tent made out of branches with a bit of canvas thrown over, 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, peterhunter86 said:

I remember early 90s an old traveller woman sitting at the edge of a back road in a tent made out of branches with a bit of canvas thrown over, 

Did you stop to talk to her mate..

1 minute ago, peterhunter86 said:

I was only about 12,we were on a sulky we would pass regular an would always wave an say hello, 

I bet she could of told some story's of what she had got up to mate..

There seems like less and less folk like that around now..

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

Lived in many a bender tent built of the very same thing,few car windscreens around the edges for some extra light inside...

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, king said:

I bet she could of told some story's of what she had got up to mate..

There seems like less and less folk like that around now..

I can still picture her perfect she had this big black heavy looking pot hanging over the fire for cooking an sometimes there was a young kid with her, there was a lot of travellers up that way I got to know a good few of them, I still talk to some of them, the odd one still pops in to my mother's to see my old man he got on great with them

• Like 2