223 slot filled

Well after submitting my variation,  approved & ticket collected, the shopping started for my chosen fox gun, after a frustrating time looking online, visiting local rfd's I couldn't find what I was looking for & most 2nd guns I was interested in had been neglected,  I was idealy looking to purchase a tikka t3 varmint,  left handed in 1/12 twist, but the search was frustrating to say the least. I couldn't get the version I wanted unless I waited at least 6mth special order for a new gun, and all the 2nd versions would have needed rebarraled due to previous owners neglect.

I decided to give a friend & member a call of here, Si Brown, whom I knew had a mint condition Sako s85, in stunning laminate & stainless fluted 1/12 barrel, a few questions were asked regarding bolt pull & stock design  ! With it being a short action , short bolt pull & stock semi ambi,  a price was given , scope not included,  gun & mod only,next thing I jumped in the van & headed to Scarborough to pay & collect the sako, a credit to Si, the gun was immaculate,  payment was made & paperwork completed, I sacrificed my left hand gun but bought a gun that suits me perfectly & I know the history of it, more than happy with the deal & Mr Brown , it will be well looked after, thanks again, 

Just waiting on some suitable scope mounts , then a nice hawke air max 6-24x50 will be going on thanks to another good mate of here & the pard nv007 

IMG-20200131-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0000.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Nice one Sean 

really looks cool mate , what the problem with mounts ? 
“o” by the way you won’t be out with your new toy , cause it gonna snow up there 6 foot deep , jimmy told me ! 
very nice mate 

atb 

The only 30mm scope mounts I had were to high , uncomfortably high ! The snow won't stop us mate !

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Looks like he got you in his bedroom by the photos ?

Looks grand....you posh tart ?

Wonder if the payment was all cash? ?

Beautiful gun though. I've always thought that stainless and wood laminate were the best combination for any gun, not to mention they're incredibly stable and weather resistant. Fluting just adds to the aesthetic. If I were buying a gun at an RFD, that is absolutely the one I would have purchased. Just can't understand why Si has sold it unless he's heading in a different calibre direction. 

13 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Beautiful gun though. I've always thought that stainless and wood laminate were the best combination for any gun, not to mention they're incredibly stable and weather resistant. Fluting just adds to the aesthetic. If I were buying a gun at an RFD, that is absolutely the one I would have purchased. Just can't understand why Si has sold it unless he's heading in a different calibre direction. 

Oh yes payment was in cash ! Si has change calibre to 6.5 x 55 so the 223 was just sitting there not been used .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

cash is king, if he was a stunnig bird I might of gone the payment in kind root:whistling:

there a bloody good setup and the build quality is something else but it was to heavy for my mega treks.. 

its only been out of the cabinet once since I bought a Bergara 6.5, I like to shoot into dark and first light so the 6.5 covers all bases for fox and freezer!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, si brown said:

its only been out of the cabinet once since I bought a Bergara 6.5, I like to shoot into dark and first light so the 6.5 covers all bases for fox and freezer!

Hope you don't regret the 6.5 - bad timing as .277 Sig Fury's just been released (it's the civilian equivalent of the new US Army 6.8mm Calibre). 80,000 psi pressure in a special casing and 3,000fps from 16" and 3,200 fps from 24" with a 140gr projectile. Looks interesting but based on the fact it's the 5.56mm replacement, I'm going to take a punt and say it's here to stay even in civi form despite the current very high ammo cost ($70 per 20). I've no doubt ammo will drop in time given the huge volumes likely to be produced:

I still love your .223 though.

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

Hope you don't regret the 6.5 - bad timing as .277 Sig Fury's just been released (it's the civilian equivalent of the new US Army 6.8mm Calibre). 80,000 psi pressure in a special casing and 3,000fps from 16" and 3,200 fps from 24" with a 140gr projectile. Looks interesting but based on the fact it's the 5.56mm replacement, I'm going to take a punt and say it's here to stay even in civi form despite the current very high ammo cost ($70 per 20). I've no doubt ammo will drop in time given the huge volumes likely to be produced:

Yeah, I'm sure Si will regret buying a 6.5x55 when he could have waited 5 years to get a 6.8mm then pay £2.50 a round if he could even get ammo for it. :laugh: The 6.8 won't replace the 5.56 in the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Alsone said:

I’m more than happy with the 6.5 and I won’t be losing any sleep over the new yank wank cal... the only reason they rave about the creedmore is cos it’s bench rest bollox.. they take there safe zone loads for 6.5x55 from the strength of pre war rifles!

more room for powder more welly?

• Like 2

More is better syndrome again.

I understand it's not a hunting round and good! The stress on the bullet with impacting flesh would mean making the bullet so tough that at normal hunting distances there would be nothing to gain.

And personally, if some want to play special ops long range sniper live animal shooting they can keep away from me! Freaks!

A standard cartridge has plenty reach in the real world.

There are 2 rounds, a 135gr target and a 140gr tipped hunting. Can't comment on effectiveness as a hunting round as they haven't even published energies from what I've seen nor has anyone shot one yet in the civilian world apart from on the range that I'm aware of.

All we can presume is it's long range and higher energy that the usually 6mm offerings because the aim of the armies upgrade was to increase the usefulness of the standard rifle (I have a feeling it might have been from 300 to 1,000yds, but could be confusing it with the new .338 machine gun). Either way the juries out on what the round will be like for hunting. Given .223 (5.56) is the world's most popular hunting .22cf round, I can see it making traction in the long run although in the UK it's likely to be more against deer than fox simply because of the licensing recommendations. The biggest barrier to adoption I can see is the ammo cost. You're quite right Walshie, no one is going to choose a rifle with ammo at £3.50 per round when the current nearest competitor is around 1/3rd that. I can't see the justification, steel is cheep as is an alu washer and less brass content which is expensive, compensates. I'm sure a machine presses it all together making no increase in assembly other than the initial cost of the extra machine. Looks as if it's just a new premium. If they don't drop it, I doubt it will get much sway in the short term. Long term, I think the army connection will carry it through. Only time will tell. Interesting development though and it looks as if high pressure cartridges may be the future, although from what I believe SIG have said, I believe they may avoid current calibres to stop high pressure cartridges being loaded into guns that aren't proofed to take them. Maybe we'll see a new .22 calibre in the near future.

11 hours ago, walshie said:

Yeah, I'm sure Si will regret buying a 6.5x55 when he could have waited 5 years to get a 6.8mm then pay £2.50 a round if he could even get ammo for it. :laugh: The 6.8 won't replace the 5.56 in the foreseeable future. 

Quite so, I don't even see it as a replacement, it is just another calibre to do a different job!

140g at 3000 ft sec isn't a replacement for 55g at 3300 ft sec, its another animal altogether! 

• Like 3