Foxing lurchers

Just waiting for an old half cross bull greyhound to come in season. I ve always run quite heavy dogs but am really considering putting a greyhound over her . Jake s right in what he s saying , on big fields these heavy dogs struggle on the turns. Top end is no problem but they get turned inside out. No good having a massive head if they can t catch what’s in front of them 

• Like 5

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saluki bull grey bitch tidy bitch for job   

-

Collie bull greyhound, very honest dog. Knows he's job very well, knows the sweet spot every time. Lamping him 3 night a week when the moon is right. If I had the time he would lamped 5 nights.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, jake824 said:

Just waiting for an old half cross bull greyhound to come in season. I ve always run quite heavy dogs but am really considering putting a greyhound over her . Jake s right in what he s saying , on big fields these heavy dogs struggle on the turns. Top end is no problem but they get turned inside out. No good having a massive head if they can t catch what’s in front of them 

Your not going to go far wrong mate using a greyhound you know we’re you stand And what your going to get as your still at the beginning with a half cross I mean you could go lurcher to lurcher but could end up really scatter bred to cloddy by adding to much to the mix straight away you could end up with a proper throwback litter an end up no better off than what ya got to begin with. I’ve got a young bedlington x lurcher to lurcher bred We’ve worked all the percentages out of parents an grandparents an this pup works out half base blood small bit of collie but mainly bedlington the other half mainly greyhound with some deerhound an a tiny bit of whippet if this bitch makes the grade but it’s very early days like 4yrs to early lol (got to think a head) she’ll go back to a greyhound (a sprinter) as we’re technically at the beginning an starting again as we’ve done a full cycle an changed the base blood from collie to bedlington bred 

• Like 3

I know exactly what u mean mate. I still have access to heavier dogs if needed but for the last 20 years I ve always been tempted to try adding the greyhound , but was always cautious about losing the fire in em. The bitch lacks nothing but pace so I’m very tempted to do the cross.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Balaur said:

Okay, I'm struggling a bit getting my head around this breeding malarky, so you use a pure breed to level off a mixed breed, unless you're line breeding . If you use two different mixed breeds they can throw all sorts of type. So this is why a lot breed first x or 2 Nd cross to prevent throw backs? I might trawl a few old topics rather than mess this up, some cracking dogs on here, cheers for posting...

:thumbs:

15 hours ago, jake824 said:

Have you got a greyhound lined up for her jake?

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

i had this x  1/4 pit 3/4 grey  few years back in the 80s , was bred  down Brum  from joe smith stuff, real good x, fast not bad wind for a 1/4 bred , and enough grit to  do foxes / deer, and not bad on rabbits. they are bit full on though, you got your heart in your mouth every time you slipped him, do or die type mine was, it was his down fall in the end , he run into a fence post after a fox, done his shoulder in and chest,  he never ran again proper , had to put him down  in the end, shame liked the dog. but suppose it could have happened to any type x    1x or what ever lurcher you ran that night .:sad:

bruce  99.JPG

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Marvel said:

Have got chance to use a nice steady one that’s had a bit of work but is about 6 now and never lined a bitch . What bird says is what my reservations are for using him. Half crosses are like land rovers and take the knocks especially when they chase something flat out into a wood for example. Never run a 3/4 bred so not sure what to expect 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jake824 said:

Have got chance to use a nice steady one that’s had a bit of work but is about 6 now and never lined a bitch . What bird says is what my reservations are for using him. Half crosses are like land rovers and take the knocks especially when they chase something flat out into a wood for example. Never run a 3/4 bred so not sure what to expect 

why not  go down the route 2- 3rd gen 1x , seen some good racy 1xs over the years , still fast enough to catch stuff  no prob. must be some lads with nice 1x dog ,  thats not over big ,?  its funny really regards size of dogs my bullxs were 70- 77 lb  26in    quite fast, but my 1x gsd x grey  Buck 28 in 90 lb  faster top end, and deff more agile  than  what the bullxs were, but in saying that a lad had 2nd gen 1x pit x grey, that was only 25in  about 65 lb  , and caught load of stuff, so they few out there,  sombody could help you out .:thumbs:

On 06/02/2020 at 21:51, jake824 said:

The greyhound in mind works mate . Thing is with a bitsa lurcher or racey bull cross u can throw all sorts. Been there done that 

Never weight off a bits a lurcher mate I've had a few gooduns

6 hours ago, Penda said:

Never weight off a bits a lurcher mate I've had a few gooduns

I’m not knocking em or writing em off just been down that route . Done half x to half x as well bird , I ve kept and worked lurchers for a long time just always fancied breeding some genuine 3/4 breds