• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saluki bull grey bitch tidy bitch for job   

-

Collie bull greyhound, very honest dog. Knows he's job very well, knows the sweet spot every time. Lamping him 3 night a week when the moon is right. If I had the time he would lamped 5 nights.

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, MH1 said:

Why aren't other terriers used to produce lurchers if beddy's aren't about?

Good question.. maybe it’s down to size, and also a beddy is quiet racey so it works well with a running dog.. you would think a fell terrier cross greyhound or whippet would be similar? 

• Like 1

I was looking at some of these jakt terriers some of these are used for all sorts of work very versatile terrier breed game as hell from what I've heard haven't saw 1 work yet unfortunately but may be a thought 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Penda said:

I was looking at some of these jakt terriers some of these are used for all sorts of work very versatile terrier breed game as hell from what I've heard haven't saw 1 work yet unfortunately but may be a thought 

There was an American man on here that bred lurchers off a jagd ,I think Dan McDonough or McDonnell was his name.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

Good question.. maybe it’s down to size, and also a beddy is quiet racey so it works well with a running dog.. you would think a fell terrier cross greyhound or whippet would be similar? 

suppose really, people with proper proven digging dogs , either pats, or well bred russels , they just stick to there own breeds , and not out x to running dog .But i did see that vid with pat x whippet  where they were doing just rats, and they looked great little dogs , fast strong tough little dogs, ok it only rats, not foxes, but ive seen few racing none ped male whippets down the track years  ago, 22in  35 lb they pile into foxes no bother , so drop of pat in the mix you have good little fox dogs . As been said on the thread above regards  foxing lurchers , there nothing that will be on the same level as well bred apbt x grey apbt x lurcher, ive said lots of times best dog ive seen on things that bite back was 1x staff x grey , Tug  26in 75lb  , he destroy  foxes, they were like feckin rabbits to him lol , its the mind set to these type dogs that set them apart from other lurchers , they dont give shit about any pain, and i swear Tug got more mad if they bit him. the were some very good old type staffs in the blackcountry staffs  Walsall  , W-ton  were i was born , good dogs there in the  50-90s  . suppose drop of wheaten just to give better coat/feet, but lads do this anyway, but a pat terrier   i reckon, got bit to offer a lurcher  , or to greyhound , dont forget  greyhounds  are good fox dogs , they dont need any encouragement to use there teeth lol, i worked at racing kennel for 6 month  and 70 lb greyhound very powerful dog, my dog Buck   father was a Razzmatazz  29in  75lb   greyhound  he go through brick wall  if he was running anything infront of him ., and alot down the racing kennels were just like him full on dogs .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MH1 said:

Why aren't other terriers used to produce lurchers if beddy's aren't about?

17/18 " blackdogs are rare.... Most that size contain alot of bull blood.... Irish or wheaton terrier would be my choice,if I couldn't find a suitable beddy... more chance of the pups having more height in a first x then. 

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Penda said:

I'd be interested to see how they turn out some of the dogs can come off at a good size obviously there's different strains aswel

70501546_768135956960956_766643907477451

found this online,hope you can see it

Edited by tinytiger
Wrong link
  • Like 3

The Aussie staghounds make good fox dogs or them crossed with greys.Staghounds are gentle dogs,some call them soft, but on anything big or that bites back that soon changes.I think that it's because they have been almost solely kept as hunting dogs for the last 200 years here, but it's getting hard to find lines without other things added.My little blue whippet is 1/4 staghound and I've found she is more gentle than most whippets but will not back down from any game here.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

The Aussie staghounds make good fox dogs or them crossed with greys.Staghounds are gentle dogs,some call them soft, but on anything big or that bites back that soon changes.I think that it's because they have been almost solely kept as hunting dogs for the last 200 years here, but it's getting hard to find lines without other things added.My little blue whippet is 1/4 staghound and I've found she is more gentle than most whippets but will not back down from any game here.

Dan from USA  who  used to come on here , he  worked Staghounds , similar  to your Oz stags , but were i think from what Dan said his dogs would go up to 29-31 in 100lb in weight , think  might be bigger type dogs than your type . But his dogs were line bred  going back hundreds of years, there were of main deerhound x greyhound,  drop bulldog,  in them. And as said on few times the yotes were hard fighters, so needed tough type dogs to grab them, and killing a 35-40lb yote hell lot harder than killing 18 lb fox lol , and i think he said as well, they ran the pups on foxes to start them , before they go on yotes . this softness you on about i think in lot of lurchers, most sighthounds etc,  with people and dogs, but flick of switch in there brain , goes to hunting mode, my big dog , as lot of dogs try it on with him, the last 3 black labs try to kick off on him, he just moves away from them he dont want to fight, good job he  wreak lab  etc if he did   no prob . never underestimate  a lurcher  or any sighthound type dog,.:thumbs:

• Like 3

good thread,,still a few decent beddy x about i go out with a few bull x lads and id put my life on my little dog taking as much as them,dont get me wrong a big dog finish the job alot easier when he gets the right hold they dont last long plus prefer to see a little dog work only downside very short coupled looks fast but on a big land finds it hard to make up ground and lacks that extra gear 

Screenshot (13).png

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, jake2580 said:

good thread,,still a few decent beddy x about i go out with a few bull x lads and id put my life on my little dog taking as much as them,dont get me wrong a big dog finish the job alot easier when he gets the right hold they dont last long plus prefer to see a little dog work only downside very short coupled looks fast but on a big land finds it hard to make up ground and lacks that extra gear 

Screenshot (13).png

How's he bred Jake there's not much decent beddy blood about with out having other stuff chucked in to it 

29 minutes ago, Penda said:

How's he bred Jake there's not much decent beddy blood about with out having other stuff chucked in to it 

not 100 percent sure to be honest mate i just brought him as a beddy lurcher ,hes only a small dog 19-20 tts he does have a longer coat than that bit i gave him a trim lol hes been a very good little dog for me i only relay use him for retrieving as said not the best running style he means well and tries hes best but just lacks abit of pace on bigger land if anything goes straight  line ,very head strong cant relay let him off the lead in the day as he dont rely switch off but hes hard as nails, i haven't got the land near me for big numbers but had 2 or 3 a night with him a couple of times a week as well as other bits a good few times,hes been tested fairly well im not one to rest up for a while after abit of chew and he allways retrieves the last like the first no super dog but keeps me happy and im a funny f****r lol

Edited by jake2580
8 minutes ago, jake2580 said:

not 100 percent sure to be honest mate i just brought him as a beddy lurcher ,hes only a small dog 19-20 tts he does have a longer coat than that bit i gave him a trim lol hes been a very good little dog for me i only relay use him for retrieving as said not the best running style he means well and tries hes best but just lacks abit of pace on bigger land if anything goes straight  line ,very head strong cant relay let him off the lead in the day as he dont rely switch off but hes hard as nails, i haven't got the land near me for big numbers but had 2 or 3 a night with him a couple of times a week as well as other bits a good few times,hes been tested fairly well im not one to rest up for a while after abit of chew

Yeah there more of a short burst type dog now I don't mind that some of places I lamp and hunt a short burst dog can rack up the bag in a night