Foxing lurchers

Just now, Moocher71 said:

What gps you using mate ,I'm looking to get one for my young bitch as once she's behind something she can go few fields and always best to b safe .

I use the garmin 320 but they don’t make them anymore but they still make the garmin Alpha at a 430 model , once you’ve used one make world of difference 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saluki bull grey bitch tidy bitch for job   

-

Collie bull greyhound, very honest dog. Knows he's job very well, knows the sweet spot every time. Lamping him 3 night a week when the moon is right. If I had the time he would lamped 5 nights.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

I use the garmin 320 but they don’t make them anymore but they still make the garmin Alpha at a 430 model , once you’ve used one make world of difference 

I was given a falcon tracker ,I was going to buy a collar and use that as save ££)£ ,

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Yep they started to breed for show and ££££ and that's the ruin of many good working breeds ,

my bedy grey still got anufe fire to find and deal with gingers ,but with the ban and the antis wanting all field sports gone it's hard to work a lurcher ,terrier for what it's bred for today as eyes are always about .

happy mooching 

To be honest, I disagree with the whole show game ruining them. It’s not effected other breeds like cockers or labs. If an owner of a working beddy has choose to use a show dog as a stud, then he’s the one at fault. Same with the people buying the pups. A working cocker owner wouldn’t choose a show dog as stud. 

• Like 2

I go out with a mate that has beddy whippets . One half cross (mother) and one 1/4 beddy (daughter) they  are fox mad and the only thing that’s against them is their size. Think you need to look at both sides of the breeding. Adding a game Wheaton or Beddy to a not so game lurcher won’t always produce a decent fox dog. The lad put a very game whippet (was owned by sheep chaser off here if I’m right) over his half cross and this produced the 1/4 beddy daughter. She’s 19tts and thinks she’s 27tts when there’s a fox about. There’s still some decent blood out there I reckon. For an out and out fox dog you have to seriously think about both sides of the breeding. So many dogs aren’t up for it so if I was looking for a fox dog I would only get a pup off 2 dogs that where 100% tested. Wouldn’t be too fussed on the breeding. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, white van man said:

I go out with a mate that has beddy whippets . One half cross (mother) and one 1/4 beddy (daughter) they  are fox mad and the only thing that’s against them is their size. Think you need to look at both sides of the breeding. Adding a game Wheaton or Beddy to a not so game lurcher won’t always produce a decent fox dog. The lad put a very game whippet (was owned by sheep chaser off here if I’m right) over his half cross and this produced the 1/4 beddy daughter. She’s 19tts and thinks she’s 27tts when there’s a fox about. There’s still some decent blood out there I reckon. For an out and out fox dog you have to seriously think about both sides of the breeding. So many dogs aren’t up for it so if I was looking for a fox dog I would only get a pup off 2 dogs that where 100% tested. Wouldn’t be too fussed on the breeding. 

Agree with you I’m not bothered about the breeding of the dog I’d use over my bitch aslong as he’s doing the job 

2 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Agree with you I’m not bothered about the breeding of the dog I’d use over my bitch aslong as he’s doing the job 

Yep agree. There’s different types of fox dogs too. You are on the hills putting in the miles so some lamping types might take decent numbers Might not be up to the job you want. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, white van man said:

Yep agree. There’s different types of fox dogs too. You are on the hills putting in the miles so some lamping types might take decent numbers Might not be up to the job you want. 

I never keep a jook just for one job,got to be able to work all kinds of land and game ,one trick pony no good for me as just not got the kennel space so a jook must be a all rounder ,I don't care what's in them as long as they keep me happy and try there best that's all we can ask of them .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Put the best working bedlington dogs over good bitches and you soon get s line but they must work not just play 

I done that but with Lurchers best bedlington greyhound I could find over a good working bitch produced a few that love em but not my own ?she’s a fanny proper flop at the gates but did get a pup back out a bitch I bred to another dog that loves em here’s to hoping??Hopefully better luck with this one can’t win them all even if the ingredients in the pot are right in theory 

3 hours ago, Penda said:

Heart break fell kennels reckon they had some of best about at 1 time weather they were i dont know 

Heard a lot of good things about heart break fell bred beddy xs a lot of people that were on the bedlington group when they used to reminisce about decent bedlington greyhounds 9/10 they were heart break bred 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, white van man said:

I’m so pleased that his blood is about, just a shame there’s not more. If I had a time machine I would go back in time and stick him across a half x bull/grey ? 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, poxon said:

Heard a lot of good things about heart break fell bred beddy xs a lot of people that were on the bedlington group when they used to reminisce about decent bedlington greyhounds 9/10 they were heart break bred 

Yeah I heard the same I used to try and talk my dad into getting me a pup off them when i was younger ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

Me and a mate bought two first crosses from that kennel, bred from Granitor line I think, handy wee dugs.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, moonlighter said:

To be honest, I disagree with the whole show game ruining them. It’s not effected other breeds like cockers or labs. If an owner of a working beddy has choose to use a show dog as a stud, then he’s the one at fault. Same with the people buying the pups. A working cocker owner wouldn’t choose a show dog as stud. 

Likes been said the show folk fu@cked the bedlington terrier up ,these types were bred as vermin destroyers not lap dogs ,

also other types started to be used more and the fire in bedlington slowly went to the wall ,

yes still bedlington types working but they not like the old stuff that worked any vermin from brock to rats ,maybe if they bred best to best they could turn it around befor to late if not to late already .

just my opinion 

12 hours ago, poxon said:

Greed/££££ names an kc it’s ironic you can pay £500-800 for a kc beddy with all the names under the sun in its breeding and have a slim chance of any thing good coming of it then you can buy a outcross bedlington from 200-350£ out of 2working dogs an turn up a half decent workers but the breeders of bedlingtons can’t get the same results from pure breeding after years of breeding pure bred to pure bred it’s definitely a shame mate tbh as I like bedlington type Lurchers I can always remember our old team of bedlington lurcher foxers before the ban having real fire in them Not like what’s about these days or what I own in comparison to them 

The fluffy brigade have destroyed the whippet x bedlington ,turning it into a lap dog ,show dog .

lots of cr@p bred for looks nothing else ,

im happy the. Dry grey not bred so much as they ruin that as well .

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Balaur said:

I think bull x has been the staple of most fox lads for decades, that in itself would be detrimental to a working breed, as digging lads left the beddy behind for black and tan terriers . In truth most people breed from what they have in their yard or social group, also just breeding to one dogs performance isn't a guarantee of what the litter is doing and it's difficult to find working homes doing what you might have planned for you breeding program, I guess you need a large enough network that can give honest views of the dogs they work and willingly except something with better qualities. It's a tough one and requires a lot of dedication, also I bet there's lads that don't know what they've got until it's too late....

Put me in that pigeon hole mate I've learnt that lesson way to many times be it 1 thing or another