BSA Ajax Ilford 177 Springer

Hi lads I’ve had this 177 springer laying  under my bed for years it used to belong to my father in law who had it when he was a boy he is now 85 so it makes the gun possible 60 years old plus maybe.

I tried googling for info but hardly anything was found it’s got BSA on the stock one side and Ajax the other with Ilford in very small writing it also has what looks like a batch number GB 55624 which says probably a lot were made. 

I have not done anything to it but the spring is strong and it still fires surface rust on the metal but with a bit of love it could be returned to almost new.

Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.

A7B79C58-5237-408D-A05C-049B2EA392DB.jpeg.d8fa31116291c0044c37b6fc653ae45f.jpeg

A5C0F4F5-9398-4FFF-B614-BB12CB4DA727.jpeg.40371185a989320d2da95f1715a6c952.jpeg

5A3CD20D-5B7E-4D9F-B9EE-8CE4B7B33FD9.jpeg.0065a3000a8303a4d7c9facea24da8ad.jpegABA3F3CC-A732-440D-84E6-D7D8E491D71C.jpeg.87ef75540a9cb83a7dbc08cd9907da5e.jpegF9E1B43D-7A6C-4D14-8EE0-7EEF7589180B.jpeg.7508b0b1892f2961d1aa09f9846cb405.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd guess at it being a Cadet as well.

........ that 'Ajax' stamp could just be the shop that it was originally purchased from. 

If you're up for a project FT, I reckon that would come up really nice with a little TLC :yes:

......... you should be able to get any spares that you might need from Knibs or Chambers.

:thumbs:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

Well well well, it would seem that you actually have a Mk1 Airsporter, manufactured mid to late 50s.

The 'GB' prefix..............

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/content/87/BSA/

Thanks Jonjon seems like a nice old classic I had a look at Knibs earlier and they seem to carry most of the spares for a rebuild, I’ve fired it a couple of times and I’m surprised how tight it still feels when breaking it I think it deserves some love considering it’s age. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Thanks Jonjon seems like a nice old classic I had a look at Knibs earlier and they seem to carry most of the spares for a rebuild, I’ve fired it a couple of times and I’m surprised how tight it still feels when breaking it I think it deserves some love considering it’s age. 

Get it done ft need any help gis a shout

and ill help you over pm,s

I keep saying this but TIME is your best friend when doing this kind of thing

its a project and its yours so no need to rush is there and she will look stunning when done

check the seals on it breach seal and so on they may have perished over the years .

and when its done stick it in the classic rifle thread .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Get it done ft need any help gis a shout

and ill help you over pm,s

I keep saying this but TIME is your best friend when doing this kind of thing

its a project and its yours so no need to rush is there and she will look stunning when done

check the seals on it breach seal and so on they may have perished over the years .

and when its done stick it in the classic rifle thread .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks very much Jimmy as soon as I get some time I will have to make a start on it I really love old things I’ve also got a very old 410 Poachers shotgun that’s probably older than the air rifle then there’s a Lee Enfield sword bayonet dated 1859 which me and a friend attached to a Enfield .303 with an old attachment it made the weapon feel formidable considering the sword is 2 and a half foot long lol.

Thanks again if I need any help I will pm you ?  

2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

It’s a cadet, airsporters are underlever 

It’s funny you should say that as on closer inspection I’ve found that the serial number is CB and not originally GB as thought and CB is not listed but I found this old post on an Airgun forum the plot thickens lol.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?845708-BSA-Cadet-Major-CB-prefix

E6AC595C-ED00-4305-8073-27E265F13D9D.jpeg.3dfbd63147d3bbd8fabd70c7879fe9f5.jpeg

• Like 1

Ajax was the name of a toy shop in Ilford.  The BSA dating sites list CA and CC as a Cadet prefixes . From the picture the "CB" on your rifle doesn't match the script of the serial number. Maybe it was reserved for  special order batches for certain shops? Possibly lower powered for boys' rifles . Relum did a lovely little "boys'" version of their Telly. Gold dust nowadays l believe !

A bit anoraky l know..?

Edited by comanche
35 minutes ago, comanche said:

Ajax was the name of a toy shop in Ilford.  The BSA dating sites list CA and CC as a Cadet prefixes . From the picture the "CB" on your rifle doesn't match the script of the serial number. Maybe it was reserved for  special order batches for certain shops? Possibly lower powered for boys' rifles . Relum did a lovely little "boys'" version of their Telly. Gold dust nowadays l believe !

A bit anoraky l know..?

Great Info Comanche it’s interesting because going by the link I found there are others with a CB prefix although rare so like you say they must have been a special order of sorts.

Edited to say Ilford is a stones throw from Dagenham where my father in law was born and raised so yes it ties up he probably purchased it from Ajax toy shop.

Edited by FLATTOP
17 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Great Info Comanche it’s interesting because going by the link I found there are others with a CB prefix although rare so like you say they must have been a special order of sorts.

Edited to say Ilford is a stones throw from Dagenham where my father in law was born and raised so yes it ties up he probably purchased it from Ajax toy shop.

I remember a toy shop that sold airguns near me, now sadly closed. The airguns were at the back of the shop, I always went straight to them as a kid. I just walked past all the other toys, always fascinated with guns for some reason. As such, airguns were always my favourite “toys” , I could never seem to put the things down and spent virtually all my pocket money on pellets at the local shop that sold everything. Had a plinkin’ good time though ?

• Like 1