1 hour ago, white van man said:

Had a nightmare with this last summer. As said it’s breaking the cycle. Ours were coming from the hedgehogs in the garden. They were riddled in them. There’s a tablet that you can get from the vet and it will stop fleas and ticks going on the dogs. Not cheap though and you are supposed to give every few months. Probably worth it though if you add up all your cleaning time and hassle. It’s the eggs that are the problem. They lay dormant for up to a year. 

Mate I have the same problem with hedgehogs the cats play with them in the garden get flea give them the dogs then cost about £80 for flea treatment for all the pets this has been going on for the past two years every 3 months I have too treat the dogs even the winter when they normally slow down it’s been the same 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi from your description you are indicating the issue is in your kennels. I am a Pest Control officer and regularly undertake flea treatments. Understanding the flea life cycle is important

Advocate spot on, lethal stuff, 

Think they were called Bravecto? Atb

Posted Images

Could well be cats....hedgehogs hibernating at mo.....

I remember reading a few years ago that something like 80% of fleas are cat fleas.......so if you have a cat or your neighbours do start looking there

• Like 3
13 hours ago, king said:

This is what you want Peter.spray this on the dogs to wet them and watch the fleas jump off.

Also spray the gaps etc in kennels..

Mix about 10ml in 1litre of water.

Use 1 of the wife's spray bottles under the sink.

Pm me your address and I will post some to you in the morning...

post-49562-0-19416900-1401895411.jpg.d4e9f39a136f0cd08b4655f72dfb3d18.jpg

Any links where I could buy some this king ?

In America any dish washing soap that will cut grease will also kill fleas immediately on a dog but will dry out his skin if done often.Also I pour salt from the feed store around kennels.I also use the sprays.The old houndmen here used to use burnt motor oil and sulphur.It cures mange and will detour any blood sucker.

3 hours ago, tank34 said:

Do your dogs come in house ? If so I'd smoke bomb the house , advocate or stronghold one's a month for 3 month then advocate or stronghold  every 3 months when worm dogs can't remember last time my dogs had fles or ticks 

Through interest what type of  "Smoke bomb" would you use and would it be in more rooms/areas than the dogs use.

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

Could well be cats....hedgehogs hibernating at mo.....

I remember reading a few years ago that something like 80% of fleas are cat fleas.......so if you have a cat or your neighbours do start looking there

Cats are scruffy c**ts riddled wi disease 

• Like 1

Hi from your description you are indicating the issue is in your kennels.

I am a Pest Control officer and regularly undertake flea treatments.

Understanding the flea life cycle is important so you use products to cover the various life stages.

Not wanting to appear a clever shit but a flea lays an egg from which the larvae emerges time taken to emerge is temperature related the cooler the temperature the longer it takes.

The larvae feed for a period of time and then pupate again temperature and available food source related.

They pupate and emerge as the flea after a period which is governed by temperature. This is what you will be seeing as you describe they go for a period and then return. The period of development in a cold kennel will be possibly as much as a month.

To be able to reproduce fleas need the blood of the host animal so are species specific but can feed of us and non host blood and survive.

Talk of fleas from other species of animals such as rabbits and hedgehogs is not feasible in my opinion as said they need blood from their host to be able to reproduce.

No insecticide products are capable of killing the pupae stage but physical methods such as steam can.

Because of the life stages you need to use a residual(long lasting insecticide) in conjunction with things like insecticidal smoke generator(smoke bombs) as they float on air flow for roughly 2hrs killing anything they contact settle and are gone. Do not breath this in or allow the dog to. They have no residual activity. The residual insecticide will remain active on surfaces and kill fleas as they emerge from the pupae stage 

Products you use can be a risk to your dogs particularly water based or liquid insecticide.Do not allow the dog onto sprayed surface until fully dry or the dog can lick the insecticide from the paws and ingest it.

Also in a kennel environment the conditions in respect to dirt will impact on the efficacy( ability to work effectively) of any insecticide and residual activity.

The fleas particularly the larvae stage will have crawled into cracks and crevices.

There is a product called diatamatious earth which is a powder based on microscopic pieces of silica dust in a chalk carrier which is non insecticidal and kills insects by rubbing away the outer skin of the insect which dies from desiccation. This posses no risk to you dogs and can be brushed into cracks and crevices. Because it is physical method of control there is no resistance to it.

Treating the dog with a flea product in theory treats the whole environment as the fleas have to come onto the dog to feed to be able to reproduce so at some stage will contact the treatment. Fleas do not live permanently on the dog.

I come across so many people who despite using a number of products still have a problem and you have to question is there resistance. But on the flip side I visit a cattery where the owner continues to achieve 100% success with frontline and insists the majority of the problems are relating to poor application. Her words it is a 2 man job to apply effectively.

When I first started pest control we did one application of water based insecticide on the carpets with no call backs.

14 years later and it seems impossible to resolve domestic cat or dog flea problems in one visit despite using a water based insecticide and apply a ULV treatment which is basically a insecticidal fog produced by an electric machine same as a smoke bomb.

I also come across customers who have spent considerable sums of money on products trying to deal with it themselves.

When properties have a lot of hard flooring it is a particular challenge with the water based insecticides struggling to gain control on hard surfaces. 

We rotate insecticides due to talk of resistance but available products is limited and is shrinking due to new directives.

From training vacuuming has the potential to crash number by up to 80%.

Washing dog bedding at 60 degrees kills all life stages.

Tumble drying items on the hot cycle for 30 minutes kills all life stages.

On a recent job for cat fleas I had major problems resolving activity in one room with polished floor boards I eventually had to spend considerable time brushing diatamatious earth into all cracks and crevices which resolved the problem.

Good luck.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, king said:

This is what you want Peter.spray this on the dogs to wet them and watch the fleas jump off.

Also spray the gaps etc in kennels..

Mix about 10ml in 1litre of water.

Use 1 of the wife's spray bottles under the sink.

Pm me your address and I will post some to you in the morning...

post-49562-0-19416900-1401895411.jpg.d4e9f39a136f0cd08b4655f72dfb3d18.jpg

My dad used to mix some of that in with his emulsion when he painted inside his canary breeding cages every year.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, slip lead said:

Seen Duramite for sale in the cage and avery's on here.

The old duramitex contained malathion.

The new duramitex doesn't contain malathion.

They stopped making the old 1 in 2007.