Lurcher rescue centres

The selfish me has never even contemplated getting a dog from a rescue centre but as I've aged and mellowed I might give one poor soul a chance to have a life. 

I'm sure if you get a youngish dog you can make something out of them if brought on right. At the end of the day if it's fast enough it will eventually catch something. ?

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well folks bit the bullet and pick up a pup in a little under a fortnight. Kids picked the name Jess     

A lad I used to knock about with had was registered as a “dog walker “ for a local refuge...he only walked lurchers and the staff loved him as sometimes those dogs slept very very well when they were 

Can't beat the bull type dog I've kept them all my life pic of my dog I had his grandmother his great grandfather is a dog called baldbull black jack  Theres Few old pics here one of a great old time

Posted Images

I'd love to take on a rescue but for a lurcher i just couldn't take the risk. The young couple nextdoor to me got themselves a real beauty of a Saluki bred lurcher out of a rescue centre gor a pet last year.

Thankfully they ain't snowflakes and the bitch can kill for fun and she does too! I'd own her in a heartbeat.

I've polished plenty of other peoples "turds" from rescue centres. Had one that was not the best field dog, but never failed to try. Made a cracking ratter and busher though. 

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd love to take on a rescue but for a lurcher i just couldn't take the risk. The young couple nextdoor to me got themselves a real beauty of a Saluki bred lurcher out of a rescue centre gor a pet last year.

Thankfully they ain't snowflakes and the bitch can kill for fun and she does too! I'd own her in a heartbeat.

There's a couple near me that has a bull x bitch black an white chest. She's a stunner a see her every day. She's 100% stamp of a dog in good health. Grey body with bull jaw line I'd say 5/8 3/8 but a don't even think she's got that much bull in her. But you can see the bull in her head very nice

Edited by Bangersanmash
1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Make you wonder why a dog that can work well is in rescue centre 

Groups of silly anti cnuts round here with them?poor things are never let off the lead, had words with one few days back, my lurcher went over tail wagging and silly cnut tried kicking my dog away?

Shouted over, watch you dont break a foot.... Because I'll come over and break the other cnut! Screamed back at me, my dog doesn't like playing?... 

Was in 2 minds just to drop the cnut with the catty.... If my dog wasn't so distinctive then they'd of had it?

Seems the novelty has started to wear off with the amount of idiots walking their dogs local, glad of some rain to keep the fuckers in?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Groups of silly anti cnuts round here with them?poor things are never let off the lead, had words with one few days back, my lurcher went over tail wagging and silly cnut tried kicking my dog away?

Shouted over, watch you dont break a foot.... Because I'll come over and break the other cnut! Screamed back at me, my dog doesn't like playing?... 

Was in 2 minds just to drop the cnut with the catty.... If my dog wasn't so distinctive then they'd of had it?

Seems the novelty has started to wear off with the amount of idiots walking their dogs local, glad of some rain to keep the fuckers in?

Yeah I noticed the vegan types seem To like the coursing types? 

4 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Yeah I noticed the vegan types seem To like the coursing types? 

What's that about eh? Rescue a f***ing saluki, to have it muzzled and never let off the lead.... And they think we are cruel taking something for the pot ?IMG-20200505-WA0000.jpg.e322bc150cc2163dc4f94bb27a90aea7.jpg

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

What's that about eh? Rescue a f***ing saluki, to have it muzzled and never let off the lead.... And they think we are cruel taking something for the pot ?dunno 

Dunno then they put them k9 type harness on them, but I feel same with the ex racing greyhounds all muzzled up just walked on a lead, like having a ferrari and just driving it 30mph to the local shop isn't it. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

What's that about eh? Rescue a f***ing saluki, to have it muzzled and never let off the lead.... And they think we are cruel taking something for the pot ?

Lurchers and sighthounds are meant to be muzzled and on leads over here when in public .. against the law not to be 

7 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Ah didn't know that was reg there, is that to protect livestock or people or just carried over from racing and allows for easier prosecution....

It was passed in 1950 , and I'm sure I read somewhere it was because some bigwig lord or politician had their small lap dog attacked by greyhounds ..

it's also illegal for one person to be in charge of more than 2 sighthound/lurchers out in public 

8 hours ago, tank34 said:

Make you wonder why a dog that can work well is in rescue centre 

It does Tank... She was probably i'd guess, at about14 months old when they got her. Not bad nick either, she can be quite giddy and vocal playing in their large garden but other than that, perfect to start.

As with most Saluki crosses 'longer runs' are her fortè and she has opened the eyes of the young couple that own her. Gonna get them out for a shine in a few months too ?