Lurcher rescue centres

So as of last month I found myself without a lurcher for the first time in 15+ years, I had lost not only a loyal companion but a devoted member of the family.

So I find myself looking at rescue centres for a young lurcher because everything deserves a second chance in life right? Wrong not if it’s a working home they don’t, no chance. It’s neither wonder some of these rescues are full to the gunnels. 

anyway if anyone sees of a lurcher good with kids and can Handle a crab it terrier lol, then get in touch 

cheers 

• Like 4

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well folks bit the bullet and pick up a pup in a little under a fortnight. Kids picked the name Jess     

A lad I used to knock about with had was registered as a “dog walker “ for a local refuge...he only walked lurchers and the staff loved him as sometimes those dogs slept very very well when they were 

Can't beat the bull type dog I've kept them all my life pic of my dog I had his grandmother his great grandfather is a dog called baldbull black jack  Theres Few old pics here one of a great old time

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Yep send a relative in to get it for you, half of them would sooner see dogs PTS...

I told them thinking it was very naive, judgemental and unfair that the right home may be overlooked due to individuals opinions on what is right and what is wrong. 

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, RossM said:

So as of last month I found myself without a lurcher for the first time in 15+ years, I had lost not only a loyal companion but a devoted member of the family.

So I find myself looking at rescue centres for a young lurcher because everything deserves a second chance in life right? Wrong not if it’s a working home they don’t, no chance. It’s neither wonder some of these rescues are full to the gunnels. 

anyway if anyone sees of a lurcher good with kids and can Handle a crab it terrier lol, then get in touch 

cheers 

What are you hunting, what type/size have you got in mind.. 

As I also said I could quite easily get a pup, but it will first and foremost be a family pet and would hopefully be able to assist in ferreting trips and general mooching about but it’s not the end of the world if it didn’t, so why not give something a chance in life,

• Like 1

They also don't like rehoming to people with kids or if they work or a plethora of other rubbish.try local dog pounds or  as I know a few who point blank refuse to send lurchers to lurcher rescue centres or will have anything to do with them vets are another good source of getting hold of a stray as well .

55 minutes ago, abrasivewheel said:

They also don't like rehoming to people with kids or if they work or a plethora of other rubbish.try local dog pounds or  as I know a few who point blank refuse to send lurchers to lurcher rescue centres or will have anything to do with them vets are another good source of getting hold of a stray as well .

Yes another “issue” I have 2 youngish children, who are old enough and been taught to respect dogs space, I want a young enough lurcher to hone so to speak to my family life 

9 hours ago, RossM said:

I joined there forum but it isn’t very active and is very dated, not heard anything since I joined

Have a look at their Facebook page, click on  About (top left), there is an email address there.  In my experience, they will try and rehome a dog to fit in with your family.  People lying about their circumstances are taking the chance they will end up with an unsuitable dog who will then have to be rehomed again. What no rescue will do is place a very boisterous, nervous or nippy dog with children so best not to get too keen on a particular dog who may not be good with kids or one who has separation anxiety if you work full time for instance.

Edited by planete